Jet Jon question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lennyg3

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have seen several Jet ski/jon boat rigs, but was wondering if anyone has ever put a Kawasaki Ultra 300x motor in one of these. I know that they are an expensive ski, but in comparison to a 200/140 outboard jet motor, the whole ski can be had for nearly half the price of one of those motors.

$9400 for a brand new Ultra 300x

A brand new Tracker Grizzly 2072 can be had for 4600.

These 300x's are pretty heavy at 1100lbs dry...
Now figure that leftovers of these boats can be had for 3600 or so, and a used 300x could be had for 7k or so, and you could build a rocket ship of a river boat for prob. 12-14k.

They also make several mods for these motors. I would think that a 70mph Jon boat would be possible... weeeee!!!

Am I off of my rocker in this thinking?

You're definitely not off your rocker in your thinking. The concept of putting jet ski engines in johnboats seems to be catching on, and these boats are every bit as versatile as a johnboat with an outboard jet.

But if you're going to go through the trouble to do such a project, you should consider a 4 stroke engine. It's a night and day difference from the 2 stroke. Click on the link at the bottom, and check out some of my videos on 2 stroke VS. 4 stroke, you'll see what I mean.

Four strokes are nice but there is something about the smell of a two stroke in the morning that I love. And the zip that a twostroke has. I wish I had the time and aluminum welding experience my 1448 would be sweet with a two smoke

Lennyg3 said:
Hey all,

I have seen several Jet ski/jon boat rigs, but was wondering if anyone has ever put a Kawasaki Ultra 300x motor in one of these. I know that they are an expensive ski, but in comparison to a 200/140 outboard jet motor, the whole ski can be had for nearly half the price of one of those motors.

$9400 for a brand new Ultra 300x

A brand new Tracker Grizzly 2072 can be had for 4600.

These 300x's are pretty heavy at 1100lbs dry...
Now figure that leftovers of these boats can be had for 3600 or so, and a used 300x could be had for 7k or so, and you could build a rocket ship of a river boat for prob. 12-14k.

They also make several mods for these motors. I would think that a 70mph Jon boat would be possible... weeeee!!!

Am I off of my rocker in this thinking?

That would be an awesome boat. Heavy I'd think but huge and if it would go in the 40mph range that is hauling for a big boat like that.

I have to believe that manufacterers are seeing the market for jet jons and someone will come out with an affordable one. Even if they came out with kits or something, that would be cool.

lovedr79 said:
Four strokes are nice but there is something about the smell of a two stroke in the morning that I love. And the zip that a twostroke has. I wish I had the time and aluminum welding experience my 1448 would be sweet with a two smoke

Two SMOKE? LOL, was that a typo, or a reference to what 2 stroke engines are notorious for doing? I've become spoiled by my girlfriend's Yamaha VX110 and my High Output engine, when I crank up my Super Jet (2 stroke) or my 50 Merc (also a 2 stroke) I'm always surprised at just how little smoke is created by those 4 stroke engines.

Now, as for the "zip" that 2 strokes have.....yes, when it comes to outboard motors, the 2 strokes have the hole-shot, no doubt about it. But from what I have seen with these 4 stroke jet ski engines, they're every bit as fast out of the hole as the 2 stroke, maybe more.

For example...my High Output engine is 1052 c.c. the original engine in my jetboat was a 1000 c.c., not much smaller in terms of c.c.'s.....but again, the 4 stroke blows it away in terms of takeoff power. I actually have to hang on when I nail the throttle with the HO engine. Didn't have to do that before. And I had to GAG the throttle with the 2 stroke to get on plane quick. Not with that 4 stroke. I bump the throttle, and it's on plane.

Now, on a final note, when I launched this morning to go trout fishing, the no-see-ums at the ramp were terrible. And that 4 stroke did little to combat them as I idled away from the ramp. The 2 stroke might have kept them at bay, but then again, those things are terrible. I haven't seen many things that will deter them. No-see-ums are probably the reason the Spanish explorers reported back that the area of the Santee Delta was uninhabitable. Yeah, I bet they "reported back" all right!! "Hoist the mainsail, and let's get the **** out of here, as fast as we can!" LMAO

Latest posts