.063 or .125 tread plate for floor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotshotinn

Reaction score
I got a price on a 4x10 sheet of.063 aluminum tread plate for $120.00 and it weight 40 lb

and

i got a price on a 4x8 sheet of .125 aluminum tread plate for $175.00 and it weigh 60lb

you think the .063 is good enough for the floor of my 1648 jon boat if i leave it in one piece and puts down foam between the support ribs? 4x10 foot is perfict for the boat but the 4x8 thicker could be used.I like the idea of 4x10 coverage with foam under it if you think it will not sag to much between the ribs.Anyone regreat putting .063 in for a floor?

I used .125, and debated going lighter, sure glad i didn't, the extra cost and weight is well worth it IMO. All tho not a fan of tread plate, i went smooth as i plan to either vinyl or carpet at a later date.

i would be useing rivits to install the tead palte in there so they would work out fine with either thickess.I going to give this some thought and once i get going i will put some pictures on here :mrgreen:

You'll be hard pressed to get a .063 deck to not spring, without having very closely spaced deck structure. If I can have enough braked corners (even better if coupled with a camber) in a given design, I can get away with .090, but if it is just flat sheet riveted on, I don't much like anything below .125.

Also, whats the attraction toward diamond plate?

I was thinking the diamond plate would be better for elimateing slipping when wet.I am open for suggestions too,maybe flat aluminum sheet of maybe plywood with carpet?It has ply with caqrpet now and the flooring seems heavy to me as its not screw down.I can lift it up.Maybe some thin ply with carpet?Sugestions please

I personally like peforated aluminuim for flooring. It's lighter then a solid seat and you have pretty good tractions with it. If you go that route you'll probably want it a little thicker then .063. Seams like there are a couple threads foaltiing around here with some pics of the stuff.

hotshotinn said:
I was thinking the diamond plate would be better for elimateing slipping when wet.

The problem I have with diamond plate is that after it wears down a bit, it becomes more slippery when wet. Those little points don't stay very sharp very long, with any sort of rigorous use.

I'd much prefer flat aluminum with a non slick paint of some sort.

I used .063" for the floor of my aluma-jet, with foam in between all the ribs, and riveted it it the ribs. of course, mine also has sides, and these are welded to the bottom, to form a one-piece tray, so, the sides probably take out a lot of the tendency to warp.

I also did a 14 foot Dura craft with the same configuration, and it worked equally well.

PSG-1 said:
I used .063" for the floor of my aluma-jet, with foam in between all the ribs, and riveted it it the ribs. of course, mine also has sides, and these are welded to the bottom, to form a one-piece tray, so, the sides probably take out a lot of the tendency to warp.

They do. Foam does too.

I called and priced out a 4x10 sheet of .90 aluminum ,not treat plate, and thats stuff cost $142 PLUSS TAX.Not to bad i may go that way =D>

Latest posts