Your bottom feeder status??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonLB

Reaction score
On another forum I visit the term bottom feeder is used. It's not derogatory. In fact it's just use in good fun to talk about some of the deals we have found, or unorthodox methods we use.

I thought it would be fun to discuss our bottom feeder status here. :LOL2:

I'll give an example; and it's something I already shared in my build thread.

The other day I found a battery box lid on the side of the road. In good condition. Worked out great since I had a battery box without a lid on it. Now I have another battery box.

Another example.

Bilge pump. Old, nasty, and was going to throw away. I thought what the heck. Plugged in the battery charger, hooked up the wires.......Noise but that is it.
Impeller was stuck. Worked it loose, sprayed the impeller shaft with PB blaster, and now it works, and pumps like a champ. And the float switch works.

Another example
Traded a chop saw, and bench top sander for an old Glastron for the 65hp Evinrude on the back. I'll sell the controls since I'm converting the engine to a tiller. Also had a kicker engine bracket on it, and some old school aluminum smart tab like trim tabs.

Another

Traded even up my old trailer for my new trailer. New one needs to be cleaned up, but anyone who saw in the build thread, it was a pretty good upgrade considering the no cost.

Dunno if it counts but decided to stop in goodwill (next to harbor freight over here) and ended up finding an ice chest for 9$, Not a bad deal considering I always forget to dump the fish carcasses after cleaning :shock:

I am new to boating, and was interested in a fish finder. So I called my dad, who has a boat with one, to ask him about it. He said it didn't use it anymore and wasn't sure it would work anymore and I could have it if I wanted to try it out. I tried it out and it works just fine.

Another one... I was rumaging through an old chicken house on the family farm that was about to be torn down and found some old broken rods. I took them home, cut the handles off, and made a reel filling station. I can spool a baitcaster or spinning reel, and even swap the line from one reel to another.

I'm handicapped and am in the process of getting disability, so money is REALLY tight. For the past two years (been sick for 5, disability case going on 4) my awesome brother has paid for 98% of my fishing stuff, including half the cost for my new (to me) boat.

tepponogu said:
I'm handicapped and am in the process of getting disability, so money is REALLY tight. For the past two years (been sick for 5, disability case going on 4) my awesome brother has paid for 98% of my fishing stuff, including half the cost for my new (to me) boat.

That is a very nice brother, hope you take care of him when you get a chance.
Tim

Was driving by a garage sale about 2 months ago, saw a trolling motor on the driveway. Stopped and took a look. I was looking at it and asked the lady , How much? She says it does not work right, something wrong but not sure what, so she says $5. I say, Well, I really don't need a trolling motor at home that does not work that cost me $5 and I just have to throw it away. She says, Just take it, I'm tired of it being in the garage. I get it home and look at it a little, runs forward and reverse A-OK but needs a new POT, otherwise works good. Am I in the bottom feeder club?
Tim

earl60446 said:
Was driving by a garage sale about 2 months ago, saw a trolling motor on the driveway. Stopped and took a look. I was looking at it and asked the lady , How much? She says it does not work right, something wrong but not sure what, so she says $5. I say, Well, I really don't need a trolling motor at home that does not work that cost me $5 and I just have to throw it away. She says, Just take it, I'm tired of it being in the garage. I get it home and look at it a little, runs forward and reverse A-OK but needs a new POT, otherwise works good. Am I in the bottom feeder club?
Tim

Yep. :p

rudycard72 said:
I will befriend just about anybody that will take me fishing on Klinger when the smallies are bedding. Does that count?

NO :LOL2:

Besides it doesn't have any smallies in it. :D

Another-Not really bottom feeder, but a good deal I'm proud of.

Complete tiller setup for a 40-115hp Johnson/Evinrude, for $50. Most on E-bay at the time were selling for $250-400.

earl60446 said:
tepponogu said:

That is a very nice brother, hope you take care of him when you get a chance.
Tim

He's the best. I would do anything for him. We've always been tight, what I'm able to do for him though is limited.

I'm definitely resourceful.

I was driving down the road a couple of months ago and found a brand new, still in the wrap, roll of Dupont pink panther insulation that had blown out the back of a truck. I took it to Home Depot and got a $14 credit that I promptly used to buy some primer and paint. :D

I told a coworker about a bedliner, those cheap drop in ones from the dealer, that had come out of a truck laying on the side of the interstate. He went and picked it up and cut strips from the bottom of it and used them as his bunk slicks. The corrugated surface helps dissipate mud and the screws are hidden in the grooves.

I've picked up plenty of hammers, screwdrivers, ratchets, tie down straps, etc. out of the roadway. I'm always too late when I find ladders. They're usually torn to smithereens.

I've got a few:

1) Picked up an 89 Force 15hp for $50 off Craigslist. The owner was selling for $200 and couldn't get it started when I got there. He told me to take it w/out the tank setup. I felt bad just taking it, so I gave him $50 for the tank setup (& Motor). Got it home and played with it a while. I could get it to kick once each time I took off and replaced the flywheel. Looked closer, and the key between the flywheel and crank had sheared. New one cost $0.25. Motor ran great for about a year until the cooling channel corroded (previously a salt water motor)

2) Picked up an 87 Force 15hp for $75 off Craigslist to use as a parts motor for #1 above. Owner said it ran very rough but that it had timing issues. I took it home played around with it and discovered that the cam for the points was installed upside down. I flipped it and it's been a great running motor. I took the tiller arm off the other motor, and I'm using it today.

3) Picked up an older Minn Kota Power Drive (V1) off Craigslist for $25. It had the foot pedal that operated on/off and direction. Owner said that the unit had 2 speeds functioning out of 5 forward and 1 out of three reverse. Took it home, spun the switch back and forth for about 1/2 hour to break off the corrosion. I got all speeds operating except for 1 reverse and 1 forward. I decided to add a speed controller for a DC motor and wired up a small box with a little dial that controls the speed. Cost me $25. Now I have a fully functional foot operated trolling motor with remote (via cable) speed control that can spin the motor from full speed down to about 10 rpm. I can set this thing to a crawl and keep it going all day long for $50.

I love bottom feeding :) Makes me feel accomplished.

A few weeks ago I was launching my boat, and when I pulled the trailer out to go park I noticed something hanging from the axle. When I parked, I found it was a transom strap, and a nice one at that. That strap is now holding down my battery.

I put a wanted ad on Craigslist for a 15 hp motor. Guy called and said he had an 18, wanted 500, lived about 15 min away so I went right over. Motor was a '66, I thought 500 was a little steep for it. It's hanging on the back of a nice 14 ft Fisher MV, on a nice galvanized trailer. I asked him about the boat, he said he ruined it, he cut a hole in the hull loading it on the trailer. Ended up walking away with it all for 700. Took it home, scratches on the hull didn't go all the way through, it had a small hole somewhere else entirely and some leaky rivets. 5 hrs on the river it takes on an inch of water in the bilge. Proud to be a bottom feeder :D

Got my boat for $75 from a buddy who just needed it gone. He was asking 125 for it, but he originally bought it from one of my buddies for $75. So I told him I'd give him that, take it or leave it. Needless to say he took it.

My previous boat I paid $280 for, boat, motor and trailer. It was a Tuffy tri hull with a 35 HP mercury set up with a console. All it needed was an impeller. Used it hard for about a year and a half. When it threw a rod bearing, I parted what was good of the motor, gave the neighbor the boat so he Could take his kid out to the club he is a member of, and kept the trailer for my current boat (and got some welding work thrown in, since he is a welder).

I lost some weight, so I had some Under Armour shorts that were too big. Some lucky guy paid more for them than what I originally did on ebay =D>

I guess I must be the bottom feeder that feeds off what all the other bottom feeders miss, and I got a golden horseshoe crammed up my behind or something.

I bought two brand new - in the box - new handheld Magellen GPS units from Eastern Mountain Sports for 98 cents apiece. When they go clearance, they go BIG.

I gave one to a buddy and kept one for myself.

I traded mine later for a Marlin Model 60 .22 rifle.

Then I traded an old pos canoe for an AK47, 750 rds of ammo, and 20 magazines.

I paid $2 at a yard sale for a $200 pressure canner.

A friend (RIP, Kelly, my friend), gave me two - not one, but TWO Honda yard tractors. I traded one for a 12' tin jon boat, and the other one I have been using to mow my yard for the last 10 years.

I've come up with a few. I'd rather pick up stuff cheap and fix it. I have a nice trolling motor that "didn't run right" I put a brush kit in it and its like new. Well my boat was one I got cheap too.

I had an old fiberglass boat given to me by my grandfather. It was beyond repair. I pulled it off the trailer and used the trailer for my boat...and then stole a bunch of parts and peices off of it. I still have to get ride of the hull.

Nothing wrong with being cheap....err I mean thrifty

You guys are great. I pick up lots of "stuff" and make use of it....but...

My daughter had a garage sale a year or two ago. I put five items in it. All sold quickly, she said. I got $50.00 or so from her.

Within the next two years, I needed and re-bought most all of those same items for a LOT more than $50.00 Now I keep the "stuff". When I die, they can get rid of it. Ha Ha Rich

Latest posts