enough hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heroonk

Reaction score
I am getting a lund SSV 16,I have a 25 hp 2 stroke merc.Other than my lab,I usually hunt and fish by myself.Sometimes I do have someone along.I am 270,100 lb lab,200lbs cargo distributed front and middle.I am 68 and not interested in a lot of speed but easy planeing. thanks bill

My guess would be you're somewhat under powered. Here's a link: https://www.lundboats.com/boats/2011-aluminum/ssv-14-16-a-18-boat

nice thing about a prop moter is you can change the prop to a lower pitch to compensate for weight,this is one thing you cannot do with a jet :mrgreen: if you are not happey with a 25hp peanut moter then you can get bigger =D>

I've got a Lowe fully rigged as a bass boat ( lots of extra weight...see my avatar) with a 40 and it has more power than I need for zipping around a small lake or bay. I am near your weight, but without the dog on board.

Another thing that you can do is put a two/three/four bladed prop on to change the hauling power. Check this out, but I believe that a two bladed prop is for speed and a four bladed is for hauling more weight. The more normal three blade is for all-around use.

Way back when ( when I was young) people water-skied behind similar boats with only a 25 hp
2 cycle on it.

R

I think you will be fine I have a 16 ft with a 20 on it and i am happy (no speed demon) but it gets me to where i am going.

I was told once that you only want to go as fast as you want to hit something

You'll be just fine with that motor. Probably not overwhelming speed, but you'll plane out with no problem and won't sip as much gas. My guess, top speed with you and dog right around 20 - 22 MPH.

richg99 said:
Way back when ( when I was young) people water-skied behind similar boats with only a 25 hp
2 cycle on it.

And those old 2 strokes had about the same displacement as your 40, maybe more. ;)

Here is a pretty good discussion of old vs new

https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=10336

Old vs New Horsepower Rating

It seems I recall that outboards used to be rated for horsepower at thecrank, and now they are rated at the prop shaft. The net difference beingthat a newer motor actually develops more power for the same rating than anolder motor.Is that true?If so, at about what time did motors start being rated at the prop shaft?The reason I ask is that I just got my Whacko (Waco) on the water.My Waco Link They way it is configured it is rated for a 50HP outboard. I have an olderForce 50 on it that I picked up from Ebay. It runs great, but I waswondering if shopping for a newer motor might get me a little better push.

More...

Re: Old vs New Horsepower Rating
Prior to 1983 most outboard manufacturers were declaring their HP at the flywheel. There was really no defined industry standard, or enforcement of a standard. So prior to 1983 a few outboard makers decided to take advantage of the declared ratings by using propshaft HP. This gave them the competitive edge of a few more HP, especially in racing. I think Merc was one.Other manufacturers cried out and in 1983 along came ICOMIA Standard 28-83 (Section 3). This standardized the industry's rating and declaration method.

About a year or so ago I did an analysis here of the HP losses between the engine and propshaft of an outboard using basic marine engineering practices.There's very few bearings and only one gear reduction between the flywheel and prop of an outboard.

So if I remember, doing the math, the difference in flywheel and propshaft ratings came out to be 3-4%.You'll hear a 10-15% difference thrown around a lot, but I've never seen any justification.

No, I wasn't refering to the crank prop ratings switchover. That would go against those old work horse motors from the 50's. The main reason you could ski behind those old 25/35 hp engins was from the displacement. They had more torque at lower rpms than any 25hp made today.

I've got a 16 foot Crestliner with a 25 HP Merc 2 stroke on it. The hull is very similar to your Lund. It pops up on plane in a very reasonable amount of time with me, 2 Labs, my wife, my daughter and beach/fishing gear on board.

People = 360 lbs
Dogs = 180 lbs
Beach Gear = 100 lbs

Total = 640 lbs

You'll be fine with the 25.

Latest posts