Homemade bimini top

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dybber

Reaction score
Has anyone made a homemade bimini top or t-top for a jon boat? I'm drawing up plans now but just wondering if anyone has had success with this.

In my head now it will either be metal tubing or pvc. I'm thinking about starting with pvc and if I don't like it I can at least use it as a template to make one from metal tubing.

Thanks in advance!

Dybber said:
Has anyone made a homemade bimini top or t-top for a jon boat? I'm drawing up plans now but just wondering if anyone has had success with this.

In my head now it will either be metal tubing or pvc. I'm thinking about starting with pvc and if I don't like it I can at least use it as a template to make one from metal tubing.

Thanks in advance!
Curious to see what you come up with, ive been wanting to do this myself.

aeviaanah said:
Dybber said:

Thanks in advance!

I'll keep you posted with what I end up with.

Check this thread: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22713

Also check: https://www.bimiteetop.com/

Dybber said:
aeviaanah said:
Dybber said:

Thanks in advance!

I'll keep you posted with what I end up with.

Ok, here's what I came up with so far. The frame is basically done, I just need to shorten it by about 6". The pictures aren't that great but more will come one I get it on the boat. It's not a bimini and it's not a t-top so I guess it's a bimi-t.
Anyway, the material is completle 3/4" PVC but is very sturdy and cost about $25. The actual top may eventually be canvas but for now it will be a 3'x5' camo tarp I had on hand but are $3.50 at Harbor Freight.

It will be removable in 3 pieces for easy storage or removable in 1 piece. Once I decided on the height and length of everything it only took about 15 minutes to assemble everything. It was a pretty fun Sunday project.

Let me know what you think.

Sorry, I posted the same pic twice and I'm not sure they came through. Trying again.

Attachments

• Boat top 1.jpg
    Boat top 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8,587
  • Boat top.jpg
    Boat top.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8,587
looks pretty good, is it strong enough when trailering the boat or running on plane down the water???

TNtroller said:
looks pretty good, is it strong enough when trailering the boat or running on plane down the water???

Theoretically yes, on plane cause I don't move too fast. The past couple years I have only fished a 13 acre private lake so ill be fine there. Taking it out on bigger water may be a problem. But I plan to mainly have this on when my kids are in the boat.

As far as trailering, I plan to have it in 3 pieces when trailering because of low trees, bridges, etc I would have to deal with getting to the water. The "feet" on the bottom will be mounted permanently on the gunwales then a screw through them with wing nuts so the whole unit can be removed easily.

If the PVC isn't sturdy enough ill use metal. But for where I down most of my time it should be ok cause I only use my trolling motor.......hopefully. :D

Watch out for that thing catching wind when you are out on the water. With a larger boat it's not that big of a problem but with floating beer cans are pretty light weight and wind can create some real problems with them on the water.

spotco2 said:
Watch out for that thing catching wind when you are out on the water. With a larger boat it's not that big of a problem but with floating beer cans are pretty light weight and wind can create some real problems with them on the water.[/quote
Yeah. I hope I don't sail away. It definitely won't be on thee during windy days.

aeviaanah said:
Dybber said:

Thanks in advance!

Here it is almost finished. It is bolted to the boat with bolts and wing nuts so it can be removed pretty easily. It's surprisingly sturdy for PVC, only slight movement side to side. The tarp will be cut about 3 inches longer/wider than the frame and then the 3 inches will be folded and glued to basically re-create the tarp as it is now, just smaller. Then I will add gromets about every 3-4 inches and then run a small rope around the frame and gromets similar to a spiral notebook. This will at least provide a little shade, especially for my kids. I almost passed out this past summer cause it was 115 degrees with the heat index and I was out for about 5 hours. Hopefully this helps a little.

Attachments

• Boat top installed1.jpg
    Boat top installed1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8,497
  • Top installed front.jpg
    Top installed front.jpg
    969.3 KB · Views: 8,497
richg99 said:
Nice job. Even if the PVC doesn't work out, you, as you already said, have the perfect dimensions all worked out for an aluminum substitute. Rich

Thanks Rich. If nothing else it was a good time in the garage with my kids making something.

Dybber,
I'm interested about how your pvc frame is holding up. I'm planinng to make a diy bimini frame out of 3/4 pvc, but i have concerns about durability. i'd apprceiate advice coming from somebody with your experience.

TIA

J.P. said:
Dybber,
I'm interested about how your pvc frame is holding up. I'm planinng to make a diy bimini frame out of 3/4 pvc, but i have concerns about durability. i'd apprceiate advice coming from somebody with your experience.

TIA[/quote

J.P. im surprised it has held up as well as it has. However, i fish mainly on a 10 acre private lake so I don't have to worry too much. I would definitely not trailer a boat with this top on it. It has some flexability to it which helps stand up so wind. Depending on what type of water you are fishing this top can be nice, especially with the low cost. This was made to be removable so if you want something more permanent or something able to withstand full speed o. The water i would suggest aluminum.

Let me know if you have other questions, id be happy to answer!

Here's another DIY bimini made out of 3/4" EMT alectical conduit. It holds up pretty well in freshwater, but less so in a marine environment, but it's still a cool project. Here are some links to the how-tos and Bimini hardware.

https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/howto/bimini/index.htm (how-to)
https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/08/columns/rob/index8.htm (how-to)

https://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/bimini/index.htm (hardware)

Dybber,
Thank you for the reply. I'm gonna be making a fold down bimini, so trailering is not a problem. The top will mostly be for hot windless days, i'd fold it down when it gets rough.

kfa,
thanks for the useful info.

J.P. said:
Dybber,
Thank you for the reply. I'm gonna be making a fold down bimini, so trailering is not a problem. The top will mostly be for hot windless days, i'd fold it down when it gets rough.

kfa,
thanks for the useful info.

Glad to help. Let me know how yours works out. My original plan was a fold down but never got that far.

Latest posts