new member... new boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thereverend

Reaction score
Hi all
I just bought my first boat and I thought the guy I bought from was a freaking genius because of what he did to this Jon boat... then I found this forum! You all blow my mind at what you have done with your boats. Unfortunately for my bank account, I think I've found yet another project to obsess over. (The other obsession is Harleys if anyone ever has any questions on that subject... send me a message)
So my boat is a 14 foot Alumacraft with a 10hp Honda 4 stroke, a 30lb Minn Kota hand troller (which I have a question on but will post that later), fish finder, and some pretty sweet lights for night fishing. The front platform is decent with a nice chair set up (needs some work to make it more stable) and the rest of the boat has a nice floor in it with carpet.
I think the boat has the starts of a really killer set up... I will keep you all posted on where it goes from here.

Thank you to everyone that has already created a lot of great ideas for me and thanks in advance for the help that I might need in the future.

love life

andrew

Attachments

• chicken wing.JPG
    chicken wing.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 557
Here are some more pics of the boat details...
The front deck is just a platform that spans the front seat and middle seat... it's not really held down with anything besides the weight and there is no frame under it connecting to the floor (I'm a pretty skinny dude and it doesn't seem to flex at all so I don't know if that matter). I wouldn't mind it sitting just slightly lower to help with stability... maybe just flush with the seats.
The middle floor pops up if you step on the very front edge or back edge so that needs some work too.
All the switches for the lights work great but the accessory port needs wired up.
That Honda engine has a charging port on it too so I'd like to get that working so I can keep the battery topped off while we are out on the lake.

Any suggestions you have for the things I've mentioned or anything else you notice, let them rip!

andrew

Attachments

• chknwngfront.JPG
    chknwngfront.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 516
  • chknwngrear.JPG
    chknwngrear.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 516
  • trollingswitches.JPG
    trollingswitches.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 516
Congrats on the boat! That's a good looking set up and should be pretty fishable as it sits.

If you want to drop that front seat remove the front deck, add a piece of plywood to the floor and mount the pedestal to it where you feel comfortable.

The accessory port is simple and just needs a couple of wires ran to the battery with an inline fuse.

I'm not sure about hooking up the charging circuit but it should be simple if you can find a schematic of the motor on line.

Just remember to solder connections, seal with heat shrink tubing and use a dab of dielectric grease on connectors when dealing with boats to keep as much corrosion out of the connection as possible.

Nice boat you have there, I like the Honda for sure. I'm a very big fan of the lower floors in the narrower jons and made one for my PK 1440MV, you can check it out in my build, just click the link. Looks like the PO did a nice job on the TM mount and switch panel. If you do decide to keep the front deck high, some storage access hatches would be a good idea. Good luck.

Latest posts