Need Opinions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

striper

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a new smoker craft freedom 160 tiller boat and put a 50hp Tohatsu on it. This boat is huge for a 16 footer. It's actually 16'11" long and has a 89" beam. Has anyone rode in this boat or has any experience with it? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I would like to top out at 30mph...do you think this motor will do that. The dry weight is 875 lbs..What are your opinions on Tohatsu. I know it's not in the same league as Yamaha, but it seems to have a good reputation on dependability.

30mph should be do-able.

I had a similarly sized tracker with a 50hp Merc, that ran 34mph with not much load and just me.

EDIT: The tracker I had was this one.
https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/specs.cfm?boat=3328

So it was probably a little heavier than that one....And I had a 24v motor on front, and an 8hp kicker. So, I would think 30 on the smoker craft would be easy.

Not sure about the Tohatsu....Only think I really know about them, is that in smaller sizes at least, Tohatsu, Nissan, and Mercury are the same engine.

Tohatsu is biggest outboard manufacture in the world.If you are familliar with Nisson outboards they are the same thing.Tohatsu builds moters for Mercury too,the last i knew 40hp and under in the Mercury lineup come from Tohatsu =D>

Thanks for the input...looks like i can get away with a 30 or 40hp with no problem. It's a smoker craft so i think this rig will do.

Latest posts