Center mount battery system.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golden ghost

Reaction score
I have a Lowe 1648 that gets a little rear end heavy with me, a 15 HP 4 stroke, trolling motor and battery. So I want to put the battery in the middle seat where the live well is. Kind of like the picture in the third tread down.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12178&view=previous
I would run the wire to the rear to hook up my electric start and trolling motor. I would also like to be able to use my trolling motor up front. So here are my questions.
1. Is that the best type of breaker to use?
2. I’m pretty sure that switch lets you switch between two batteries. Is there a switch that you have just off and on? I will be docking my boat sometimes and I’d like to be able to switch off everything instead of disconnecting the battery.
3. What type of terminals could I use at the front and back? I’m thinking some 5/8 bolts so I can hook up or disconnect my motor or trolling motor with some wing nuts. Same at the front. Your thoughts?
4. Anyone take out a live well and put in a system like this. I don’t think it should be to hard to remove the live well.
any input would help.

I moved my battery forward as well to balance the weight.
I made my terminals on the cheap like Captain Ahab, just a couple bolts & nuts
and PVC pipe.
That battery switch should have an 'OFF' position like in the pic, but
I have seen them with just ON/OFF.

Attachments

• battery switch.jpg
    battery switch.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 638
Here is what I did with my batteries, wiring and Trolling motors

Pic#1 Shows dual batteries and three way switch

Pic#2 Shows battery cables ran to the rear of the boat for the outboard and troller

Pic#3 Shows rear trolling motor breaker (50amp)

Pic#4 Shows front trolling motor wires and plug which are also hooked up to a 50amp breaker

Hope this helps a little

Attachments

• IMG_2888.JPG
    IMG_2888.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 632
  • IMG_2902.JPG
    IMG_2902.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 632
  • IMG_2901.JPG
    IMG_2901.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 632
  • Slide91.JPG
    Slide91.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 632
My installation is very similar to fool4fish's except I mounted mine in the center seat live well of my Alumacraft 1648. I built the mount from plywood in 2 pieces, assembled everything on my work table and then disassembled everything, and reassembled it in the live well. I used a 60 amp Minn Kota breaker and ran #6 wire to the transom, where I mounted a Minn Kota Plug.

Attachments

• 040311 003.jpg
    040311 003.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 627
  • 5 battery a.jpg
    5 battery a.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 627
  • 4 battery a.jpg
    4 battery a.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 627
  • 3 battery a.jpg
    3 battery a.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 627
I moved my troll motor battery to the compartment in front of my center console and made a small control center under the dash and run all powered items in my boat from it, lights, dept finder, GPS etc. from that battery. Only item not on that battery is the bilge pump. Do not want to be on the water and ready to come in and have a dead cranking battery. Now when I in come the first thing I do is to charge the troll motor battery. I can disconnect all the wires and cables at this time. I used to have an on board battery charger on this battery, but it has quit charging.
Note: One pic show built in big tackle box on the left side and other pic was before I added the tackle box.

Attachments

• new con5.jpg
    new con5.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 500
  • st3.jpg
    st3.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 500

Latest posts