Adding Splashwell

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cubman

Reaction score
I had a 70hp Johnson (254lb) on a 1648 with floatation pods. I sold that boat and now have the motor on a welded 1648. I have problems with water washing over the back of the boat when I come off plane. I would rather not build pods again. Has anyone built a bass tracker style splashwell on a jon boat? Did it help?

A number of years ago I made a splash board out of wood. Painted it gray and bolted it on. Worked fine.

Even if you want to finally wind up with one made out of metal, I'd suggest starting out with a board.

Shape and cut it to what you think fits. Stick it on (even heavy duty Velcro will work for a short while).

I quickly found out that my original design was way wrong. I had to cut slots in for the steering gear. Then, I had to make holes for cables. It was a good, and inexpensive, learning experience, ......as most of my projects wind up.

Had I started with metal, all of the modifying would have been far more difficult for me.

regards, R

What's the HP rating for your current boat? 70 sounds quite high to me. Might just need a smaller OB that weighs less.

HP rating on the riveted boat was 35hp, the coast guard tag is too scratched to read on this boat. The transom has been reinforced to hold the motor. The riveted boat was a flat bottom that I got up to 39mph with the motor overpropped, I am hoping this modified vee boat will get up out of the water like a bass boat on pad and run faster. I just need to make sure I don't come close to sinking it every time I come off plane.

Gotcha. I assume this is a tall, 20" transom? Pods might be the only thing you can alleviate the extra weight with. Keep in mind that adding the splashwell is going to bring a few more pounds of weight to the back end, increasing the original problem.

I wonder if tabs might help, something like smart tabs maybe? Does the speed at which you shutdown make a difference? Maybe just try easing it down slowly, instead of a quick shutdown?

I've used Smart Tabs on 3 boats. Great product. They certainly will help with porpoising and with running at slower speeds while maintaining plane.

I don't know how they would affect the back-wash when you shut her down. Gradual slowing, as has been recommended above, would probably help even more.

A back-splash board is a good thing. I built mine ( out of wood) about four inches higher than the transom height. That is why I had to make all sorts of cuts and relief holes to accommodate the turning engine. It didn't seal the back end off, but it did cut down on the open space that allowed water to splash in.

R

Yes, it is a tall transom. First off this is not an issue at all with two people in the boat. It comes off plane level. Coming off plane with one person in the boat, there is no problem if you back off real slow and let the wave catch up, then bump the throttle to get ahead of it. What I am worried about is if I have a problem with the motor and it dies going down the lake, that wave will surely catch up with me.

The pods were nice for floatation, but caused drag running down the lake. I built them so they started flush with the bottom of the boat and tapered up 1.5" at the back.

richg, you just built a vertical plate on either side of the motor on top of the transom? Did it funnel water to come through under the motor?

It has been 10 or 12 years since I did it.

As I remember...the board was about a 1 x 8. I cut out the middle to allow for the engine. Then, I had to cut more slots to accommodate the steering mechanism. Sorry I don't have a picture.

As I recall, it didn't do anything other than keep water from coming in. If enough came in, it splashed back out over where the engine was bolted on. Not perfect, but it helped when I was backing down.

This boat had a low transom and the engine was raised up on a manual jackplate. Somewhat different than your deal, I guess.
R

i would think that if you tried float pods on your other boat and they worked......Use float pods. I have to agree with skidz, and say that the 70hp on that boat sounds a little high. It's not a matter of the transom being reinforced, its a matter of too much weight hanging off the end of the boat which you kind of eluded to in your OP when you mentioned weight. float pods IMO would be the most effective, and safest way to keep the boat from becoming a fish tank.

Alright - ignoring my specific situation - has anyone contructed a splashwell on a jon boat, and do you have pictures?

Here is a picture of one I did. The old center seat was used for material, and I was instructed to leave the green side out, as the owner was going to hit the weld zones with a can of touch up paint.

You can probably see the white drain fitting on the starboard side.

Attachments

• Splashwell.jpg
    Splashwell.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 1,818

Latest posts