Winter Projects

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmean

Reaction score
So My boat was pretty much put on hold this summer and fall. Life got busy than expected with the up coming wedding.

I want to touch some spots up on my boat and seal my newly cut transom. do i need to run like a btu heater in my garage. I live in nj and its relatively 20-40 all winter long?
I dont want to waste materials or time if it's not going to come out right.

I do not know the specific products you are working with, but if I remember correctly, most paints and sealants that I have worked with require higher temp than 40. Check the product labels, you may have a problem with it curring properly.

mattmean said:
So My boat was pretty much put on hold this summer and fall. Life got busy than expected with the up coming wedding.

I know how that feels. I'm just now getting ready to work on my boat again after a long busy summer. I know that when I was painting my transom that the paint recommended temperatures from the Sherwin-Williams site specified >35*

Quote:
Until a few years ago, painting needed to done when temperatures were going to be above 50° Fahrenheit. However, with advances made in waterborne technologies, products like Duration®, Resilience®, SuperPaint®, A-100® latex, in addition to WoodScapes® products can be applied when temperatures are as low as 35º F. Please note that surface, air and product temperatures must be at or above 35º F and that environmental conditions during and after painting need to be considered. Stable conditions and temperatures above 35º F are needed early in the paint’s drying schedule. The first 48 hours could be critical to successful drying.

Latest posts