Decking options? Need some help in deciding what is best

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Doc

Reaction score
I'm going to be working on my tin when I get back from deployment. Basically I just want to build a budget friendly pond hopper to take my son (4 years old) out to the local small lakes/ponds. It's a 14' Monarch (I think it's a 1464 but I cant' remember right this second) I was thinking about building a casting deck out of plywood, sealed with fiberglass resin. Would it be better to use one solid sheet of 3/4" plywood, or would it be better to use 3 sheets of 1/4" plywood, laid out so the "grain" was going vertical on the top layer, then the middle layer going horizontal, then the bottom layer vertical again, sealing each layer with the resin. I don't really want to sink a ton of money into it, I just want it to be stable enough to hold me (I'm only 180 lbs...) I got a ton of ideas for the decking on this site, so I feel pretty confident in the build, but I didn't know if anyone had used 3 layers of 1/4" versus one layer of 3/4"

Thanks

I am fairly sure that if you are determined to go this route that multiple layers of 1/4 would be stronger, because it is going to give you more layers of ply total....I think.

That said, not everybody uses 3/4 because of the unnecessary extra weight...I would imagine that using multiple layers of 1/4 with each being coated in fiberglass resin, will be even heavier.

My suggestion, and from what I have read here a recommendation of others as well, is to do good framework and use only 1/2 ply. It will hold you fine.

First, I really think 3/4" ply for a tin boat is overkill. I vote for a single sheet of 1/2" ply

Second, polyester "fiberglass" resin doesn't stick to wood very well. I worry that if it does flex a bit (which it will) it would crack and delaminate. I vote for epoxy.

You can check out what I did here: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19949

I'm 200 lbs. and the epoxy/glass/ribbing reinforced 1/2 inch ply that I used has very little flex.

Yeah I agree. 3/4" is way to thick. I have it in my boat and it adds another 65 pounds to my boat. I would go with 1/2" for decking. Hope this helps and good luck!

I would be afraid that water and junk would get in between the multiple sheets and rot over time. If you make the support for your deck with enough cross beams, it should not give with 1/2 plywood. I have 3/4 in on the bottom and I wish I had gone with 1/2. My boat is a freaking tank, but maybe that's what you are going for since you are military!
:p

Thanks for your service.

I used 5/8" for my bow casting deck. And I had the supports spaced pretty far. It's plenty strong enough. I am using 1/2" on the lower deck that will sit on the ribs. Again it's plenty.

Also, remember with plywood that the layers alternate grain direction within the plywood sheet, even though the top and bottom layers (veneers) are in the same direction. There are different grades, and some have many more layers in a given thickness than others, as an example you can get 3/4" ply with as little as 5 or as many as 11 layers. I have used 9 or 11 layer "cabinet grade" plywood in 3/4" for some non-boating projects, and it is plenty strong to support my 240 lb frame bouncing up and down on it in a 3x3' section. 1/2" should be plenty with the proper framing underneath.

Latest posts