Small gouge in hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29

Reaction score
I found a small gouge in my hull near the bow. It didn't puncture, more like it scraped across the head of a nail and scratched. It's a 2011 G3 1756 SC with .100 thickness. Question number 1, .100 what? Is that some vague gauge number or is that descriptive of a millimeter, centimeter, inch? Question 2, is it inevitable the aluminum will split there? Question 3, is there something I can use to fill the divot?
Thanks

I can answer a couple of those:

1) .100 is 1/10th of an inch. That's a pretty healthy thickness for aluminum.

2) It will certainly be weaker in this area. It will entirely depend upon the amount of stress that it sees. If it's near a corner or brace or the bow eye, it will likely split. If not, it may be ok. Is it below the waterline? if yes, then it would probably be better to have it repaired and not worry. If it is above the waterline, you can probably get by with some regular checks of it to see if it changes or begins to open up.

3) If its a relatively small gouge, 1/4" or so, it should be a relatively easy weld repair. This would be the surest way to eliminate any potential future damage. You could also look into JB weld, but that would probably stick out like a sore thumb and could still have issues in the future.

Being that it's a brand new boat, I would probably get it welded and repainted if necessary and not worry about it again. But if you're looking to stay on the water for minimal money, JB Weld would do for a few years.

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

kofkorn said:
I can answer a couple of those:

1) .100 is 1/10th of an inch. That's a pretty healthy thickness for aluminum.

2) It will certainly be weaker in this area. It will entirely depend upon the amount of stress that it sees. If it's near a corner or brace or the bow eye, it will likely split. If not, it may be ok. Is it below the waterline? if yes, then it would probably be better to have it repaired and not worry. If it is above the waterline, you can probably get by with some regular checks of it to see if it changes or begins to open up.

3) If its a relatively small gouge, 1/4" or so, it should be a relatively easy weld repair. This would be the surest way to eliminate any potential future damage. You could also look into JB weld, but that would probably stick out like a sore thumb and could still have issues in the future.

Being that it's a brand new boat, I would probably get it welded and repainted if necessary and not worry about it again. But if you're looking to stay on the water for minimal money, JB Weld would do for a few years.

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Thanks for your reply. It's a bit wet today but I'll take a quick pic w/ruler to give an idea of size and location.

BTW, I'm thoroughly enjoying your Tracker rebuild. It's a real page turner! I've decided it's not just "The Walking Dead" withdrawal! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Happy Holidays to you and yours as well.

I crawled under the boat to check it out and take some measurements. I think I may have been a bit overzealous. Beside the fact there are more scratches and scrapes. The deepest part of the gouge is thinner than duct tape but thicker than painter's tape. It's on the bottom of the hull, starboard ~14" from centerline, ~4' from the bow, between two ribs.

Ride_Klein said:
Sounds like a good old fashioned war wound. If it was my boat I wouldn't loose much sleep over it.

I second this. They are hard to take when it's a brand new boat, but it gets easier. lol. Won't be the last one you get if its a river boat.

Lennyg3 said:
Ride_Klein said:
Sounds like a good old fashioned war wound. If it was my boat I wouldn't loose much sleep over it.

I second this. They are hard to take when it's a brand new boat, but it gets easier. lol. Won't be the last one you get if its a river boat.

couldn't agree more. they happen.

Latest posts