plywood better than aluminum for flooring

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotshotinn

Reaction score
I looked over a friend boat today and he has plywwod covered in carpet on the floor.I was planning on putting down aluminum flooring but now am thinking about plywood.I put down foam between the support ribs then use 1/2 inch ply or maybee evin 3/8 inch aslong as the support foam is there, covered with carpet then hook it to the ribs with self tappers.Will be cheaper and I will not has to worry about aluminum gettein slippery when fishing out in the cold river in November and december from ice.Should be lighter to I think?Anyone think 1/2 plywood is lighter than aluminum sheet?I allready no 3/8 inch would be and i would only need one 4x8 sheet fo a one piece coverage onmy 1648,Allso wood being more easy to work with over aluminum and carpet covers mistakes :mrgreen: the best part is the cheaper for me =D>

I had aline on some scrap aluminum sheets for free but they now has disappered,they said someone stold them and now I am without :x

We have folks here that have been very successful with both wood and aluminum.

I personally liked and used aluminum. I used .063 and it will last forever and was lighter than plywood that I would have to soak with sealant and then coat it with glue and carpet.
With my aluminum, I etched it with a random orbit sander and then primed it with a good aluminum primer. It has never created a slippery situation yet.

My .063 aluminum was riveted directly to the ribs of the boat floor and had foam under it and between the ribs which supported the flooring so it didn't cave in when you walked on it.

Let us know what you decided and don't forget to take pictures.

I think plywood flooring is lighter, cheaper and easier to work with. I used plywood for my floors and aluminum for everything below. Sheet aluminum might be slightly lighter per square foot then plywood (depending on thickness of each of course) but, because the aluminum is softer and more flexible you will, by necessity, have to ad additional bracing below - this is where the weight will add up.

I did not carpet the aluminum but used an epoxy primer and then no slip paint. Clean and light!

I used to have plywood. Then switched to .063 aluminum and couldn't be happier. I just put some closed cell foam strips below it and it has been great. I covered mine with carpet. The .063 aluminum is lighter than the wood I had in it before and I will never have to replace it.

Scott

I used plywood for mine. I like the extra weight in my small boat. Makes it more stable.

I checked out the salvage yard neer me about 20 miles away for used tread plate and sheet aluminum and they were out.I allway liked the aluminum flooring idea and I put some in my 1448 but i got that for free.The .63 should work and i been thinking about foam under it anyways.I will have to make up my mind soon and buy one way or the other.thanks'

I have switched over to aluminum exclusively. that way it never rots and its lighter weight. Carpet glues to it with no problems. The only downside to aluminum is the price and cutting it properly to size. But other than that it works great.

I was thinking about using some decking boards. I have a lot of extras left over of the 5/4 decking boards from my deck build on my house over the summer. I know your not suppose to use treated lumber, but is there a layer of something i could put between the wood and the alum to keep it from corroding??? I would have to take the floor out for storage purposes, and would make it a lot easier with the 5/4 boards.

I used plywood with a non skid paint, so far so good.

I also like the idea of those restaurant non slip rubber mats that someone here on the board used. No need for a sub flooring and easy to clean! Maybe next time.

Sheet aluminum might be slightly lighter per square foot then plywood (depending on thickness of each of course) but, because the aluminum is softer and more flexible you will, by necessity, have to ad additional bracing below - this is where the weight will add up.

The trick there is that you have wood building techniques, and metal building techniques. When building with wood techniques (build a frame, skin it with aluminum sheet), the plywood might be lighter, but once you start building with metal techniques (your aluminum sheet is the frame), your weight drops drastically.

The downside to this is that not everybody has a press brake or a TIG welder, nor the experience in working with thinner sheet aluminum, which does often negate some of the potential weight benefits, but they still can be achieved.

Dawson

I would probably go with aluminum if I could do mine again. The wood is heavier and warps easily. Aluminum is more expensive but well worth it due to its durability.

Latest posts