12 foot flatbottom jon for saltwater fishing.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickehh

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm a poor teenager looking to get on the water and go fishing. I'm more of a saltwater fisherman and my funds are extremely limited. I'm wondering if a 12 foot flatbottom jon would be sufficient for the intercoastal and bay waters off the coast of florida. I am worried it will be too unstable and when there is crop.. Would this be ok?

I would say that a 12' is to small. I wouldn't fish in anything under 15' with a mod v hull for salt water. In any chop or waves from other boats a 12' would be unstable. This is based on what I have seen as far as conditions go in Southern Louisiana it could be totally different where you fish. I hope this helped and good luck.

I think its doable as long as the conditions are ok, I found this one day when i was researching what kind of boat to buy. I dont live anywhere near an ocean, but the great lakes get just as rough.

https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&&mode=article&objectID=33184&catID=&subcatID=0

The folks that have posted above me are all right. A 12 foot flat bottom will:

Feel too small

Pound

Be OK if the conditions are right

I fished a 12 foot jon up here in New England salt for a long time before I got into a bigger boat. I had the tar beat out of me trying to make way in bay chop. I once had to stop fishing to bail the rain water out. I was swamped by a 50+ foot cruiser wake and had a plastic tackle box float away while I bailed out the boat. The tide pinned the boat to the rocks and I had to haul the boat up dry and wait until the current slowed..the stories could go on and on...

If you choose to fish a small boat in the salt keep your wits about you. Stay home when you know it will be too much. Have a plan when it gets to be too much when you don't expect it. Know when to bail on the trip...even if you are killing it. Get a floating VHF and think about an EPIRB.

And, above all, don't be a dumb ***. Think. Wear your life jacket...and have fun.

I'd be really apprehensive to fish, or travel, in the ICW with a 12 foot johnboat, as the wake from one of those yachts will hand your *** to you on a dirty, greasy, soggy paper plate. Not to mention running in chop is not going to be pleasant whatsoever.

I would go for a 14 foot johnboat, maybe even a 16, either a semi-V flat bottom, or a V-hull. It will be safer and ride smoother.

Is it doable yes. If you plan on fishing protected waters with little to no traffic just use your common sense. I fish from a 16ft V and when I am traveling from spot to spot in the ICW it can get a little hairy sometimes not all boaters respect the little guy.

Just be careful, prepared, and have a plan.

Latest posts