Question about my new to me boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisP

Reaction score
Hi! I just purchased what I was told is a 1972 Sears Lake model Aluminum boat, it is 13 feet long, on a sears tilt trailer but it does not have a plate on the boat to ID it. I have been snooping around this and other boat sites trying to figure out who made this boat because it does not have a bow plate in front and I would like to get something that would work. I would also like some advice on capacity for a boat in this size class in terms of weight and engine size.

The rear looks like a Valco, but the seats and floor are not Valco. The transom reinforcement arm is not from any common manufacturer I have seen, seat reinforcements are also different, That brownish/yellowish stuff is carpet glue. Please take a look at the pics and let me know if you know who manufactured it? Also if anyone knows a source for bow plates, would greatly appreciate a lead. The plan right now, thanks to the great work I have seen on this site is a front deck, new transom, side steering console, seat storage and new paint. Any advice is greatly appreciated - Chris

Attachments

• Boat 1.jpg
    Boat 1.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 528
  • Boat 2.jpg
    Boat 2.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 528
  • Boat 3.jpg
    Boat 3.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 528
  • Boat 4.jpg
    Boat 4.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 528
  • Boat 5.jpg
    Boat 5.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 528
Sorry I can't help with the ID on this boat, but I will welcome you to TinBoats. It's great having you here. I'm sure you will get some help soon.

You might want to reconsider the steering console as it will take up a lot of room that you will certainly miss. Great boat..but the size will leave you wanting more space I'm afraid if you add a console. Just my .02 cents worth.

I would say a early valco based on the fins/backside. side console would be a waste of space, motor wise probably a up to a 15hp would do. weight? 2 guys and a small kid/ about 500lbs. bow cap? get a piece of alunimum and bend one to shape and bolt it to the bow. These are just opinions based on similar boats I have seen. nice boat :wink:

Thanks Chris, I appreciate the welcome and the advice! I plan to use the boat by myself or with my 15 year old son, the older son is off to college so occasionally with three people. Had a nice 12 foot Mirrocraft before and we fit fine but they were younger than too. I wanted a larger boat but I have a clearance issue with the way I have to store it, through two french doors in the back of the garage that are 66 inches wide open which gives me about 2 inches per side with this to aim incorrectly! We troll for trout so I remember sitting sideways hand on tiller looking forward so I thought it would be nice to sit in a forward position. I have heard about something called stick steering which might save me the space but I realyy do not know much about it yet. Thanks again - Chris

Are you sure that is a 13ft boat?

Because if so, that thing looks HUGE.

Even still, I'll agree with Chris, and say I wouldn't put a console on that boat either. Would take up to much room. I removed both consoles from my boat, and am in process of converting it to tiller. I like console steer. But won't do it unless the boat is 17' and at least 85" wide.

Thanks Jay,

That helps a lot, is there a thickness of aluminum that you would recommend? I do not know have much metal forming experience so imagine a basic triangle, make a cut at the perpendicular point and bend the edges down? That is why I thought finding a source for current bow cap might work better - Chris

Hi Lon,

I measured from bow to stern and its 13 feet exactly so it might be my camera angle! - Chris

ChrisP said:
Thanks Jay,

That helps a lot, is there a thickness of aluminum that you would recommend? I do not know have much metal forming experience so imagine a basic triangle, make a cut at the perpendicular point and bend the edges down? That is why I thought finding a source for current bow cap might work better - Chris
The bow plate should be 3/16-1/4" thick. Bend the sides down and bolt in place.

For a short while, I owned a Gheenoe, which was rigged as a stick steering boat. It took me a day or two to get used to it. After that, I liked it.

In that very thin boat, I sat about 2/3 rds of the way up front and controlled the engine just fine. Leaning back to do something near the engine was a problem, but that had a lot to do with the skinny boat itself. R

Just did a little work on the boat and wanted to share my progress. I have basically stripped the carpet glue off the insides and removed the paint on the outside, I took apart the transom and made a new one using two pieces of poplar wood and spar varnish. I think I am going to pull it and add additional coats, I only did two coats. I reinforced the rear with some aluminum tread plate, I used stainless bolts and washers along with rubber washers. Did some work on the trailer, new bunks, new rollers and a new winch strap. I picked up a 1985 Honda 100 four stroke and am getting that ready for the boat.

I am now focused on deciding if I will prime the hull with steel flex or gluvit, how to some seat storage, if i am going to build a read deck, more for storage than to stand on and how to wire the boat for a battery, and my fish finder, the outboard has a charging outlet. So off I go to read more of all the great posts and information on the site!

Attachments

• Boat 6.jpg
    Boat 6.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 404
  • Boat 7.jpg
    Boat 7.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 404
  • Boat 8.jpg
    Boat 8.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 404
  • Boat 9.jpg
    Boat 9.jpg