trolling motor selection

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbotodd

Reaction score
I'm at a dilemma. I've had a 16' TideCraft small bass boat for the last 4 years and I've downgraded to a 1542 aluminum boat. The Tidecraft has/had a 40 lb Motorguide foot controlled motor (cable steer 5 speed) and it worked well. But I sold that boat. I need a trolling motor for my Tinny. I'm torn between a cable steer Edge 45 Minn Kota and an electric steer motor. Price aside, what would you guys do? I am running ONE Optima battery and it will need to be 12v only. I like the idea of wireless remote but is it really worth the extra $$$? The one I'm looking at is a Motorguide W45 with 48" shaft. Or I can get a Minn Kota Edge 45 with a 42" shaft.

From what I can tell, the pros of the Minn Kota are:
tried & true cable steer
a little cheaper
composite shaft (I've bent a metal shaft before)

Cons of the Minn Kota are:
lack of quick release
5 speeds-no variable speed (I LOVE variable speed)
the pedal is kind of tall which is hard to use if you're on the pedal much
cable steer-pedal is in the way sometimes

Now the pros of the W45 are:
variable speed
electric steer
wireless...and I can run the motor with my thumb OR foot (the MK V2 can't do that)
easy stow
quick release when I go to the lake where I don't use a troller

I will be using the boat mostly for fishing a shallow lake locally, and occasionally on a small river where there is continual current (drift fishing), and occasionally I fish at a larger reservoir where the wind can blow. I usually won't fish all day long, normally a few hours and I'm either limited out or tired & ready to go back into the A/C.

What would you guys do? Has anyone got any input on such a comparison?

I had the mg wireless with the key fob and the foot petal and didnt like it i found the turn response was very slow
i chewed up several props due to the slow turn speed changing the running speed was also slower than i liked
I switched over to a 5 speed cable steer and had fewer trouble
now these motors were from the mid 90's so the turning speed may have changed
another issue i had with the wireless key fob was if fighting a fish in current needing 2 hands on the rod/reel left me driffting without control

If you are use to cable steer, I'd stay with that. Besides turning speed, on the MG or powerdrive, you have to look at the head, to see where it is pointed. Judging where it will end up by how long you have the button pressed, is not that reliable. Cable steer, once you are use to it, doesn't require to be visually looking at at. More hands free.

The wireless is good if you fish from multiple places in the boat, not just the bow. We use two keyfobs, and when one angler is busy, the other can take over. Didn't like the foot control.

I don't have any experience with the MotorGuide Wireless motors. But I used a Minn Kota Powerdrive for years. From the bow of my dads boat when a teen, to my own boat.

Because of that, the pedals, and steering is perfectly fine with me. It's just what I'm used to. It seems like most guys who are used to the cable steering models HATE the electric steer.

I have also used cable steer. Honestly, I can see cable steer being much, much easier to get used to.
And, it is hard to beat the quickness of the reaction in the steering. Your foot moves it moves.

I'll do a pro con, based on my experience.
Electric
Pro-Use it anywhere in the boat
Small mounting area
Low profile pedal.
Con
HORRIBLE stow deploy (at least with M/K motors)
Slower steering
Totally different steering with your foot could be cumbersome for some guys
No clean way to run depth finder cables.

One other issue I think the electric motors have is increased depth finder noise.

The cable steer motors
Pro
easier to use.
Faster reaction
MUCH better stow/deploy

Con
MUCH larger mounting area
motor doesn't stay in position-it will turn with waves etc. You have to be on the pedal at all times. (there is a fix for this though-that at least helps a bunch)
Usually heavier.
tall higher profile pedal.

LonJB, good additional points.

FWIW: In my experience, the additional FF noise is from the digital control (infinite speed), which all motor steer models seem to have.

FuzzyGrub said:
LonJB, good additional points.

FWIW: In my experience, the additional FF noise is from the digital control (infinite speed), which all motor steer models seem to have.

I hope so. I was having issues with my Powerdrive motor, and I've got a Motorguide cable steer motor now.

There is a quick release available for the MN Edge. I have it on my boat (1542 flatbottom) and love it. Sure makes taking the motor on/off the boat easy.

"composite scissors quick release MKA-23" is the name of the quick release. If you are considering the Edge, I recommend you check it out before mounting the Edge to your boat. I

I am going to attempt to attached the instructions for it on here. (hope it works)

Attachments

• MKA-23.jpg
    MKA-23.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 869
I just switched from a 43# pro series MG 5 speed to a MK Terrova 55# w/ Ipilot. I went this route as I troll or longline 99% of the time for crappie, where speed control is very important. With the Mk I can control my speed much better(down to .5mpg w/ the variable speed control) than with the MG. slowest I could go with the MG was 1mph, maybe .9 if the wind was in my favor on that particular leg. I could also use a drift sock as needed but it was more of a hassle than anything. the ipilot has several features that serve my style of fishing well where with the MG, I always had to control the boat while the MK I can put it on auto so to speak, and I can fish more.

I've got 7 years of experience with the MG cable control, and it's all I knew. I put the MK on my boat, and it was weird for a couple hours with the electric steer, but now after about 5 or 6 trips with the MK, I am use to it and has become 2nd nature for me.

The type of TM you prefer is a personal choice, but you should consider what style of fishing you do the most.

I went ahead & ordered an electric steer Motorguide. LOT cheaper than the Minn Kota. The MK you can't use the foot pedal with the handheld remote..it's one or th eother. It also does not come with the wireless preinstalled (it'a a $175 option). AND the MG comes with quick release if I ever needed it, where it's an option with the MK. If I added up the MK options I wanted, it'd have run well over $800. I bought the boat, with the F25ESH Yamaha and a cheapie hand control motor for $1000. No sense putting a trolling motor on it that costs as much as the boat/motor. Not to mention that I was able to do some shopping to get the price way down. I installed a 80 lb MK iPilot at work and the owner says he absolutely loves it, hwoever, it took a couple trips to get used to it. I'm a very adaptable person, and I know it'll take a couple trips to the local lake, but I think I can handle it. Just seems like a better option for me, and my fishing style.

Thanks for everyone's assistance and opinions!!

Basicly the same reasons I choose the MG Wireless over the MK Powerdrive V2 a number of years ago. I wanted the release bracket and wireless keyfob. Expensive options for the MK. You can't get iPilot type of control for the MG, though.

Expeirence helps with everything, and as long as you are willing to accept that it will not be as good as cable steer, you will be ok. It is the #1 reason why people go back to cable steer, especially if you are primarily a bass fisherman.

As someone mentioned, installing a transducer is more tricky on a power steer. I mounted mine in a rather unique way, that has worked well over the years. No pinched or cut transducer cable. https://www.joefishin.com/TMTDmount.html

hey fuzzygrub;

Nice set up you have there on the xducer wire. How did you attach the heavy wire on the head of the TM that holds the xducer wire going down to the motor end. Does the "loose wire' cause any problems in any way since it is not attached to the shaft? Been looking for a good way to keep the xducer wire from getting pinched on my Terrova, this may work for me as well.

TNtroller said:
hey fuzzygrub;

Nice set up you have there on the xducer wire. How did you attach the heavy wire on the head of the TM that holds the xducer wire going down to the motor end. Does the "loose wire' cause any problems in any way since it is not attached to the shaft? Been looking for a good way to keep the xducer wire from getting pinched on my Terrova, this may work for me as well.

The heavy wire is just bent into a hook. A small groove was filed into the lower part of the head cover. The spring keeps slight tension on it, and it has never come loose in 3 years.

fuzzygrub, what depthfinder are you using with that motor, and are you having any kind of interference?

LonLB said:
fuzzygrub, what depthfinder are you using with that motor, and are you having any kind of interference?

That is a HB Wide Side transducer, but I just use the down element. I can run my 798 up there, but usually have that at the helm and a 400TX at the bow. The bow station is powered by the trolling motor battery. When I had a commlink connected between the bow and helm, I got allot of noise when trolling motor on. Once I removed that, no more noise.

Latest posts