loading tips

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skysail

Reaction score
I plan on taking my boat out on a river if the launch isnt frozen sometime soon. If I do it will be my first time and more than likely be by myself. Im not worried about launching it, but does anyone have any tips on how to load it without getting wet. Should I buy some guide bunks first?

I don't have experience loading on a river, but I would think that guide-ons would be very helpful. I'm glad to have them when loading in some wind, I can't imagine having wind and current to deal with and not having some field goals to aim for.

If doing things yourself doesn't deter you, you can make your own for alot less than what the stores have to offer. There are quite a few projects on here that have detailed the process.

Maybe some of the other river tin guys can chime in with other helpful advice.

bunk guides, and planks to walk the trailer help a lot. the bunk guides probablly help more than anything. sometime we've had to angle the trailer with the current to load.

Around here on the river launches that I do(are mostly by myself), the trailer placement is the key. The current/wind will always present a challenge. Nothing beats experience so if you get the chance drive down to the ramp and watch others. Even then it pays to have and extra set of socks and shoes just in case. I've put on guides and a plank on the trailer allows me to drive the boat onto the trailer, hook her up, step on the plank and finish cranking her up. Then because the ramp I launch on is steep, i'll step in the back on the pickup and get out by the cab, this ramps been known to be slippery this time of the year. This way if I slip I put a little distance between me and the river.

Not sure if this will work for you, but this is what I have done a few times. The bunks on my trailer only have one bolt in the middle so they pivot. I can pull my 1436 (no mods YET so its not heavy) all the way to the ramp/bank. Back the trailer just to the edge of the water. Then I just lift the front of my boat up on the bunks and crank it all the way up on the trailer.

The river I fish is tidal and doesn't usually have a strong of current. If I use a ramp, I just back down, drive the boat up and climb over the front. I use the above method when I launch from the bank.

Yup, thanks for the replies, good tips. I should have added that the rivers I will launch at don't have a strong current. It just really depends on the weather conditions though. I will prolly install guide bunks, and do the drive on, climb over, and crank it on method. My boat is also pretty light it doesnt have much done to it so it can be easily adjusted as needed I guess..

Start your drive onto the trailer from downstream if there is any current. Then drive upstream and turn onto the trailer, you will always miss trying to come straight in with a current. The current adds to the stability and control of the boat without adding speed.

Latest posts