Help in identifying a boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDog

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying my first boat. I found a 14'. The owner doesn't know the brand or any info. I asked him if there was a plate toward the back with the numbers and capacity, etc. He said he didn't see anything.
I'm wondering if there is another way to identify the boat and its information?
Photo attached. Thanks!
Boat.jpg

While everything is probably on the up and up...be careful buying a boat without registration tags and paperwork.

Depending on the State, you may have to register/title the boat; the motor; and/or the trailer. Lack of paperwork can, in Texas, cause your boat to be impounded until YOU prove that it wasn't stolen. Seems crazy, but true.

Lots of "no ID " boats turned up after a hurricane. Some were just old and never had a tag. Some had the tag chiseled off in an attempt to keep a lost boat that floated into someone's yard.

R

I am always concerned when someone knows nothing about the item they are selling.

We have found a lot of interesting stories here in Vegas. "I am selling it for my aunt who is out of town."... "I bought it for my brother but he decided not to move."

Yah...I try to only buy from folks that have proper paperwork in /their/ name and ideally have owned it for long enough to know a little history on whatever the item is.

I agree with the others--buying a boat without registration/title--depending on the state you live in--can be a nightmare at the DMV. Some states only require a Bill of Sale. Here in New York, you have to have a title and registration, otherwise you just bought yourself a parts boat (or a row boat, as any boat in NY with a motor must be registered). Because of that, I would not touch a boat or trailer that did not have a title, but I live in NY where you NEED that stuff.

If you are patient, you should be able to score a nice 14ft boat and trailer for around $300-$500 with paperwork depending on condition and whether it has a motor or not. You may be able to do better then that. It's the off-season, and a boat for sale in January will sell for about 50% less then it will in July--it's simple supply and demand.

But to answer your question, click the link below and look around, you may be able to find it. (if you knew its beam, transom width, actual length--it will help you in your search)
https://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Main_Page

Good Luck

Latest posts