Any duck boats?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triplecreek

Reaction score
I jut bought a 16' BIG JOHN and I love it! Was wondering if anyone has any mods that have been done just for duck hunting. I have already begone building a blind for the boat but I need and want more. Thanks in advance.

I installed a 12v plug for charging cell phones and using spot lights. I also installed 'docking' lights on the front for increased visibility (check state laws). Keep the hunting boat as light and clutter free as possible. I've hunted for many years and do not have any positive experience with boat blinds. Make sure you build a low profile boat blind or the ducks will flare. Best results for waterfowl always include beaching the boat and getting as far away from it as possible. Safe hunting.

I'm gonna install some gun holders to the side somewhere to keep them out of the way and safe.

I have my 1436 jon set up for duck hunting. Cabelas northern flight blind, 25hp mariner on a T&H mini jack plate and 12 gallon fuel tank under a small deck up front. I have the large fuel tank to off set the weight of the motor and to help when going threw ice up to 2" thick. The open front deck helps when getting the dog back in the boat and someplace to set the stove to make coffee and hot food.
I made the switch box from a weather proof electrical box and cover inside the box are the fuses. I don't have pictures of a couple other things, On one side of the boat I have 2 1" wide nylon straps mounted to keep the guns off the floor on the other side I hung an old cargo net from the trunck of a car to keep things out of the way.

Attachments

• IMG_5426.JPG
    IMG_5426.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 764
  • IMG_5432.JPG
    IMG_5432.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 764
  • IMG_5527.JPG
    IMG_5527.JPG
    360.9 KB · Views: 764
  • IMG_5602.JPG
    IMG_5602.JPG
    957.6 KB · Views: 764
  • IMG_5726.JPG
    IMG_5726.JPG
    332.6 KB · Views: 764
I don't have a "duck boat" yet, but when I win the camoclad on here I will!!! I'm getting a side mount truck tool box for a gun box, I see em on clist non stop 50-150 bucks. I've been striving to make my boat easily convertible, it's a year round boat and I enjoy my catfish as much as my duckin so cotter pins or ring pins are great for quickly removing and/or adding accesories.

Triplecreek said:
I jut bought a 16' BIG JOHN and I love it! Was wondering if anyone has any mods that have been done just for duck hunting. I have already begone building a blind for the boat but I need and want more. Thanks in advance.
Hi TripleCreek, For curiosity, I just did a search on "Duck Boats" and found a whole slew of members that are Duck Hunters.
There is some nifty info on camo as well. Check it out and welcome to Tin Boats! Jerry :)

This is mine. Still a work in progress, but so far so good.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22354

I wouldn't call my boat a "duck boat" necessarily, but it is it mainly used for this purpose. I also gator hunt, fish and cruise around with the family. I am very, very happy with it. I would love to have a 18-20ft hard core duck boat with mud motor, but that will come later. This is a good all around boat for me.

Boat her used for $3K a few years ago and have been adding things over time. I built a better duck blind this year and it has been perfect! (We are just now starting to hunt out of the boat, so I will be taking it off soon.)

The last 3 pics are the day I bought it a few years ago and don't show some of the changes (seats, trolling motor, etc.)

KRS

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    673.2 KB · Views: 635
  • boat_005.JPG
    boat_005.JPG
    464.8 KB · Views: 635
  • boat_003.JPG
    boat_003.JPG
    463.1 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG-20111118-00142.jpg