When and when not to strip to the bone

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankbait09

Reaction score
This is my first post. I know nothing about owning a boat other than what I have read thus far on this forum.

I do not have a boat as of yet but hope to by summer if not sooner.

I was reading a number of threads where boat owners purchased a boat and then have stripped the boat down to the bone and sealed, carpeted and added new decking. whether it be plywood or aluminum, etc.

When you first buy a USED tin boat. Let's say you take it out and find that there are no leaks and all is well. Would you still strip it and make like new?

I really don;t want to add any extra expense nor do I wanna make more work for myself if not needed.

#1 question....How do you know when you need to strip down and redo?

The main thing is to remember on boats that all of the little problems will lead to big ones if they are not taken care of quickly. If all is well then there is really no need to strip it down. However if the boat is in bad shape, leaking, and you plan on adding/removing things from it then stripping the boat down would be a good choice. Good luck & I hope this helps.

A lot of the stripping is also to ensure you have a solid foundation for your personal preferences, a lot of the customization you'll see here is because the owners have their own unique designs that simply won't work well with the existing platform.

If you are avoiding expenses you do not have to strip down.
IF the boat is solid.

Lots of folks, at least the V bottom boat guys (I've watched enough of those, and am working on one so I can only comment on those) strip down because they are older boats, and most all of the wood needs to be replaced. Decking, and transom. When that is the case the boat needs to be stripped down.

That is why I stripped down my boat. And since I needed to strip my boat down, and I can't leave well enough alone, I had to modify the way it was.

Here is the build thread.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16904

crankbait09 said:
#1 question....How do you know when you need to strip down and redo?

#1 answer.... When what you want isn't possible without doing so

When you are redoing your floors, it is a good time to go in and completely strip down the interior of the boat and seal/protect it. Is it over-kill in some cases? Absolutely. But having the piece of mind that your seams/rivets are completely sealed and sealed correctly is worth its weight in gold.

My biggest fear for not resealing would be if after I just did all the work to redo my floors, then my hull developed a leak shortly there-after--I would have to rip out my floors to get to where the leak is to seal it.

Added cost is minimal to strip/refinish in the grand scheme of things.

Good Luck

Latest posts