1980 Alumacraft V-hull project - need advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capntater

Reaction score
My boat mechanic had an alumacraft sitting in his back yard that he offered to put on me for $300. He wanted the motor and the side console. I didn't want either. The boat has a front and rear bench that I would like to remove. I primarily fish with live shad on the Tenn. River in north Alabama. I am normally fishing in the tailraces of Guntersville, Wheeler, and Wilson dams; I need a lot of open space to accomodate a 30 gallon shad tank and a cooler. I would like to add a short front deck, FC trolling motor, and two pedestal seats in the floor (one for driver, one near front). I will put a 35-40hp tiller motor on the boat when finished. My question is, will the removal of the benches severely affect the stability of this boat? I do plan to reinforce the bow area with a short deck, but I don't really want to have anything in the stern. It does have a splash guard that runs across the transom - appears to be pretty sturdy. If I need to include pics, I will be happy to. Thanks

Pics needed. Most benches do provide some structural support. My boat had 3 benches but the middle one has been removed. It is still structurally sound, however I wouldn't remove either one of the other ones without reinforcing the sides.

Latest posts