Water leak on my 1984 13' Valco?! Help please.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drider

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm from Los Angeles, CA and believe it or not we're all not into I-phones and the b.s hollyweird scene. I've been a avid angler since I could remember and I just got my first boat! Before that it was fishing tubes, many kayaks and now the Valco 13' aluminum boat! I took it out for the first time yesterday and there was a water leak in the bow area. At first I thought it was the rear drain plug but found evident it was leaking from the bow area. Now since the boat is riveted do you guys suggests I clean up the bow area and apply an epoxy type marine type sealant or take the dam thing and get it welded? The reason I ask is I want it permanently securely fixed! There is a plenty wealth of welders down the street from where my boat is stored? So let me know guys, seal it myself with marine grade epoxy or take it to get welded up? thanks for listening and helping.

I also have an un-located leak in my boat.

One thing that I will be checking out carefully in the next couple of weeks is the forward U bolt that I lock my winch strap onto. It seems that that part gets a LOT of pressure on it ( mine certainly odes) and can work loose or even pull out.

As the boat moves forward, water gets jammed into it by pressure. Could be where my issue comes from. My problem only occurs when the boat has been run under high speeds.

Wouldn't hurt to check yours out, too. Rich

Congrats on your new boat, and welcome to the site.

Find out exactly where the leak is if possible. Usually the best way to do this is to fill the boat up with water. If you know the boat is leaking from only the bow area, I'd tilt the bow down so you don't have to fill the whole boat up. Look underneath the bow and mark the area(s) with a sharpie. Take some pics if you can, and let us know what your find. That way, we can offer up what would be some possible solutions for the exact problem.

Take note that if you put hundreds of gallons of water in your boat, you may damage something on your trailer if it can't support the weight. That's why I say to "lean the boat/trailer towards the leak. Your boat shouldn't draft more than a few inches of water.

Thanks, the interesting thing is when I fill the boat up with water specifically the bow area where I suspect the leaking to occur, the water does not leak out to the floor/ ground water stays in the boat? So again it seems like it has a small hole/ loose rivet somewhere! Above all is it okay to take it to an aluminum welder to get it welded up? I don't think my boat will see much rough seas other than the fresh water lake.

drider said:
Thanks, the interesting thing is when I fill the boat up with water specifically the bow area where I suspect the leaking to occur, the water does not leak out to the floor/ ground water stays in the boat? So again it seems like it has a small hole/ loose rivet somewhere! Above all is it okay to take it to an aluminum welder to get it welded up? I don't think my boat will see much rough seas other than the fresh water lake.

If you haven't done so, make sure to get under the boat and look at the hull instead of waiting to see water on the floor. You could also take a paper towel and wipe it around to see if any water comes out that you weren't able to see. During my build, I took a light and shined it from the inside of the hull (in pitch dark) and looked from underneath and found a couple pin holes in the hull that way.

If you still can't locate the leak, you may want to have a friend come help you rebuck all of the rivets. (more info to come on that if needed)

I think the welding would be premature if you can't identify exactly where the leak was coming from. I'd only point you that direction from the get-go if the hull had a crack.

Okay, I'm 95% sure I found the link to the water leak. It's leaking from the front of the bow specifically the center line, thus why the previous owner applied alot of silicon type epoxy. Do you guys suggest again get it welded up or remove the old silicon type epoxy and apply new stuff?

silicone is NOT epoxy. Neither is the best solution for your problem IMHO. Epoxy is not flexible.

If it is a smallish leak, I'd try some 3M5200. Approved for below water line use. It sticks like crazy and yet remains flexible and waterproof. Expensive (relatively)...maybe $20.00 or so.... but worth it.

Let's see some pix. R

Trying to get picture uploaded (looking for wires) but I found the leaks, there is a total of three of them. Meaning the water when filled in the bow area where the last bench is, the water is dripping in a drip- drip- drip way like a leaky faucet. It's from the center line of the bow, right dead center squared where the boats bow is riveted. Tomorrow friday, I'm going to try and JB weld it with their marine grade stuff and try it out Saturday, but pics soon to come.

JB weld is wonderful stuff. It is epoxy mixed with metal or other materials. It is great for non-flexible issues.

Use 3M5200. .... Your boat problem, and most boat problems, flex all of the time.
R

Seriously recommend that you heed the advice of the folks who have recommended 5200...it is what you need for your issue.

Guys I'm very frustrated, where do I even begin? To illustrate, on the bow of the boat specifically the center line, there is no rivets but like I said there is three points where there is a leak. Should I just apply 5200 epoxy from james town around the area?

heres a picture please just rotate your monitors clockwise. Also I'm selling it if you're local $600 obo you guys know whats wrong with it I'll be honest I'm moving to San Bernardino and won't have storage or even time to work on it. But again the leak is along the center line where the red paint is.

Attachments

• photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 727
  • where the leak is.jpg
    where the leak is.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 727
Hey man...

I believe your best course of action is to buy the quick setting 5200 that fits in a caulking gun and go down that entire seam on both sides...it's easy to use and should do the trick.

Latest posts