Bought a boat that has been stolen more than 20 times!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixgun86

Reaction score
I Sold the skiff in 30 minutes. Parked it on the road at 9am and it was sold by 9:30. Going to the bank to pay off the CC and plan to use the remainder on another hull... Back in a tin shortly!!

So while at work I'll occasionally ask a customer if they know of Tin boat for sale as we are practically surrounded by water and there is a boat in every yard. This has worked several times in the past. This is my 15th boat in just over a year after all. One of my customers works for the County and purchased a 16x48 from the Police dept a couple years back that they used for bait. Aka, Park it at the beach or launch and wait for it to be stolen. Once it became undesirable they sold it and purchase a newer more steal-able* rig. Paid $100. Gets delivered tomorrow. Pics shortly. Until then, RIP at new owners Skiff.. Pic at the Bar beached on the sand.

Attachments

• Akiff.jpg
    Akiff.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 1,043
That's undesirable?! :shock: I'd break my arm off trying to get my wallet out fast enough.

$100, man oh man. You should see what 100 could get you up here - hint, it sure don't look like that!

#-o

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I'll give ya $200 AND a case of beer for it!! :LOL2:

Seriously though, awesome score!!

Still waiting on the boat... Was suppose to be delivered yesterday, then today..

Looks like I won't have it until tomorrow. Been working doubles all weekend and haven't had the time to get it myself. Pics tomorrow. Sunday. Of the $100 dollar boat. That was stolen. 20 times.

sixgun86 said:
Pic above is the Skiff that sold yesterday. The $100 boat pics are yet to come.

#-o

Goofed that one up, thought the pic above was the new boat.

Can't wait to see the new one.

The new one has been delivered, and it is not a 1648 though more like a 1436 :? None the less I'm still happy with my investment and it will be easier to push with my motor. Got a remote controlled flood light, bilge pump, Lowrance finder, Marine battery, and a 6hp OMC to install. Might be adding some paint though not sure yet. I'm happy to be back into a Tin boat and am looking forward to having some time to modify it properly. Won't go too crazy considering it will be under powered. Doesn't even need transom work, Ugly but solid. Next up, a trailer. Might go see my motor man and get a bigger outboard depending on what he's got.. Not sure yet.

Attachments

• tin1.jpg
    tin1.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 791
  • tin2.jpg
    tin2.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 791
  • tin3.jpg
    tin3.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 791
Well that looks more accurate to what I would expect. It still looks like a real solid boat for $100, I'd certainly pay $100 for it. Nice Score!

Well this boat has character for sure.. Solid floor, transom, etc.. and a past.

So I call Marine police, Find the last registered owner. Make/Length/State Reg don't match up. Only hull ID. Last name Brown. Great.. Give me a Smith why don't ya? Last reg. 1979! Director tells me I must have Bill of Sale from him. Call Post office that delivers to his last know address, They tell me it doesn't even Exist. Even better! So I call back to Marine police, they tell me to file abandoned. Okay, Call circuit court, they have no idea, transfer me to my local tag office, tell them whats going on.. They look up the last reg, Place on Hold, Hold some more. Ahh just come in, bring your bill of sale provided. We'll register it. :p

Leaving to go there in next hour. Hopefully they will stay true to their word. Otherwise I don't have a pond and it will be listed for sale as the boat lost in translation. I've even made a visual aid to help explain my experience. I've got too much time on my hands at work.

Attachments

• tag.JPG
    tag.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 711
  • court.JPG
    court.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 711
  • mpol.JPG
    mpol.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 711
  • marinepoil.JPG
    marinepoil.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 711
ROFL! nice!! :LOL2: :LOL2: The first picture is the best.

I hope I don't have any issues registering my boat. I bought it from a guy who never registered it... the guy he bought it from had it registered. So I have 2 Bills of Sales... one from Seller 1 to seller 2; and one from seller 2 to me... hopefully the DMV doesn't make me jump through too many hoops!! Gotta Love bureaucracy!!

Thankfully they worked with me. Got the boat registered, corrected length and mfg'r as well. Now to decide what to do?! I've got two boat trailers to look at and an 18hp OMC outboard. Lot of electronics to install as well. Depth,troll,bilge,lights,and remote spotlight. Only $400 in electronics going on a $100 boat.

sixgun86 said:
Thankfully they worked with me. Got the boat registered, corrected length and mfg'r as well. Now to decide what to do?! I've got two boat trailers to look at and an 18hp OMC outboard. Lot of electronics to install as well. Depth,troll,bilge,lights,and remote spotlight. Only $400 in electronics going on a $100 boat.

Could always fix it up over the next couple of months and sell it for little profit if nothing else... boat, motor, trailer, and electronics should be able to get t least $1000 once May hits.

Bigkat650 said:
sixgun86 said:

Could always fix it up over the next couple of months and sell it for little profit if nothing else... boat, motor, trailer, and electronics should be able to get t least $1000 once May hits.

That's what I was thinking. You could totally flip that thing for a nice paycheck. Sweet story behind it. I'd love to hear some of the police stories they have from using it in action.

Latest posts