New to tin boats. looking for advice.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse-C

Reaction score
Hey guys. New to the website and have some questions. I will give you the full story and see what you guys think.
Last summer a co-worker bought a bass tracker from a friend at his church. (I believe a 1988-92 model tx17 with a 50 rude on it)
My buddy came to work and told me he bought a bass tracker for 300 bucks. I gave him a hard time because he rarely fishes. Told him he should just sell it to me since i am in a bass club and have owned a couple champions before i got married and had kids. ;) So he asked me what he should do since his friend had left it sit in the shed for two years before that. I told him to drain all the gas and probably should change the impeller. Not taking my advice he drained the gas put a new battery in and took it to a small lake. He said it fired right up and he started driving. About a half mile down the lake he started hearing a loud beeping. He calls and i told him to check the oil. Said everything was good there so I told him to start it and see if it had a pee stream. no stream. I asked if he changed the impeller and he said no so i thought that was his problem. He used the trolling motor back to the ramp and order a lower unit impeller kit. Installed it himself and still had no water coming out.
The other day at work I asked him if he got the boat running yet and he says no I havent had time to mess with it. You should sell it to me i say. Well gimmie 300 bucks thats what I got into it.
So here are my questions after going and taking a look at the boat the other day.
Boat looks real good. Just looks real narrow to me. Is it a decent fishing platform or is it tippy? I would be fishing some small club tournaments out of it on some of the smaller waters. I know its flat so it wont handle rough water to well.
Also the engine. Any chance its just a mud dobber nest? Anyone had an issues with anything like this.
And lastly with the engine working fine what does a boat like this usually sell for? I think i am getting a good deal???!!
thanks fellas.
-Jesse

1st, welcome to TB, it's an addiction! 2nd, isn't the boat a mod v? I've a 17.5 food Lowe commander that is a very similar set up and it is fine on Lake Huron on semi rough days. 3rd, if the motor is still turning over freely it is likely still good for another 10 years. It's possible your buddy put impeller on backwards, has a junk of rubber in the water tube, intake screens are plugged? A lot of possibilities, but all likely very small. The loud buzzing was def the motor overheating, but that doesn't mean it is dead. The boat itself around me would sell 800-1800 easy, running up to maybe 3k depending on the condition (pics always help here)!

Yeah I will try to get pics. He said the motor fired right up and went down the lake great until the buzzer went off. So it looks like i will be buying the boat. When all goes through I will begin posting pics and asking lots of questions I am sure.

All older boats are narrow by today's standard. An equivalent to my boat, that is new, is going to run close to 20" wider.
Part of the reason for converting dual console to tiller steer.

But, with that said, you should be fine as far as stability goes.

Latest posts