Casting Deck Support

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbarba11

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to this site but I've been lurking for awhile. I've learned a ton of information and I'm about ready to begin my build. I have a 1995 14ft Meyers Laker (Semi-V). I'm going to build a casting deck from the front bench forward but I can't seem to figure out the bracing. I plan to bolt aluminum angle to the front seat and the support legs to the ribs but how do I attach the bracing to the bow of the boat? I have looked through most build threads and can't seem to find any good pictures or explanations. Here is the manufacturer's picture of the boat layout:

al3dbd.jpg

I'm planning a build very similar to Zube's Semi-V(but I plan to use aluminum instead of wood) if that helps anyone give me a more accurate response.

Thanks!
Dave

Thanks for the response. How is the forward most part of the casting deck attached to the floor and the bow walls? That's what I'm most confused about, I'd like to avoid drilling holes in the body if I don't have to.

Thanks!

I used all aluminum angle for the framing on mine. Look at page 2. I just riveted a horizontal piece to the ribs to have a starting point. My boat also had a wedge-shaped seat in the front that I attached angle to. You don't have that, and you don't have ribs in front of the front bench though, so that looks difficult. I think you may have to rivet or bolt something to the hull up front for a foundation. I'd get a piece of angle and lay it on the front bench for a straight edge and mark a line on the inside of the hull where the bottom of the deck would go. Then I'd make some L brackets out of .060 which is probably the same as the hull and seats. I cut a bench out, so I had plenty of scrap. I used that type of bracket to make a place for my upper deck for the trolling motor. You can't make them very long or they won't fit the curve of the hull. That's why I used multiple brackets. They may not seem strong enough, but they will be once you have a board, etc. bolted across them. You probably won't need any extra framing since it's such a small area in front of the little bench. Just my opinion.

Latest posts