Running a V-hull in rough water ???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish Chris

Reaction score
Okay now, my little baby is only a 14 1/2 ft'er, but it does have a nice V, and I also have power trim and tilt, on my 25hp tiller steer Yamaha.

So, here's what I've noticed; if I trim the nose down in choppy water, it creates more drag, and slows me down a bit, however, it lets the V do what its supposed to do.... slice the waves, and in doing so, makes for a noticeably smoother ride.
However, lowering the bow increases the chances of spearing a wave. I could trim the bow up, but then the waves end up hitting the flatter portion of my hull, behind the deeper V at the front.

How do you guys trim your V hull boats in rough water ?

In any case, although I could run my boat wide open, in pretty rough water, I just refuse to subject it to that. I plan to fish this boat at least 120 days a year, for the next 10 years. This boat has to last.

Your thoughts ?

Thanks,
Fish

flounderhead59 said:
Trim down and slow down is the way to go in rough water. Been there, done that.

Concur on that :) . The PT175 Tracker (Mod V hull) I had handled the chop pretty good, as long as I didn't try to race through it.

Another thing I did when the water got nasty was put my lifejacket on, and hope everyone else does the same.

i have had my boat in some really nasty water 10 to 14 ft rollers. I know it's not tin but it's all the same i trim the motor down and slow down. It takes me longer to get someplace but it is a smoother ride.

waterwings, I never run my big motor without my vest on.

Wayne

I concur, just don't slow down so much that your being pushed. Also I never run the outboard without my L/J on.

My PFD is on 100% of the time when on Lake Michigan. I put it on when I start my main motor for warm up and take it off when I set foot on the dock upon return. On the smaller lakes where I fish for crappie I occasionally remove it when using the TM and usually remove it when anchored.

Latest posts