which way to go?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankbait09

Reaction score
This kinda branches off from my last thread BUT

I have found a number of aluminum boats that are in my price range. The ones I have found are just the boat/trailer for roughly $400. If I were to go that route, I know things differ from place to place BUT Is it wiser to buy a boat that has everything included for a higher price or go the boat/trailer route and piece it together as I go?

I do have some money to get a boat and accessories but can't afford the NEW items right now. Hoping to find the majority on Craigslist.

If I spend MORE money, I could find one that has the boat, trailer, motors and whatever else but that is also pushing close to $700-$1000, not including registering.

Right now, the $300-$400 boat along with title, registration and what not could get me around $500 at the most. then I would have the rest of the winter and however long it takes me to get the rest of the boat put together. OR I could spend the additional money and buy one that has all the "stuff" and not worry about it.

Maybe on a budget stand point I'm answering my own question.

Is it cheaper to buy bare and build myself or go the route of spending more and have everything included?

This is what I am looking at right now......
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/boa/2790756219.html

and how much money/work would it take to fix this one?
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/boa/2758345962.html

there are others in the same price range but still looking....

I have done both. In the end I have been happier with starting fresh and taking the extra time to acquire what I wanted. It was a good way to start with my first tin that came with everything gave me all kinds of ideas for when I bought my current rig that rigged how i wanted with the options I wanted. Plus it was fun rigging it myself.

which is the way I see it. Everythign up front so there is not much that needs to be done. Then, if it ever comes time I will have my likes and dislikes in mind for the next boat.

I think this is a great choice....

I have had mine a few months and already have a wish list for the next one. ;)

If you do get one with everything you can always sell some of the things you don't need or want anymore to go towards upgrading later.

I am leary of buying something that is already broken though...people who say they just didn't have the 'time' to fix something aren't always being straightforward.

Of course it depends on how they both look when you get there...check out their weight capacities and engine limits...check the transoms and overall condition...

In your situation with the deals available I would maybe offer the guy with the 14' footer $300 and see what his counter is..what he is asking is a good deal, but anything you can get off it makes it even better. That leaves you a lot of room for picking up a good working motor to put on back.

I don't think you will be unhappy either way you go - this is a great hobby and addictive.

For what it's worth, I went the route of getting an all in one package and got a great deal. Check out my build thread...I paid $500 for mine.

Crank-

Man-o-man, if I was in your shoes it would be really hard for me to pass up that jon. Around me, $600 for that much boat just doesn't happen. The motor needs some love but the nice thing about those "vintage" units is they are dead simple to fix and maintain and will run forever if you take care of them.

The rest of the stuff is just gravy.

It doesn't hurt to bargain for a lower price, but, if it was me, I would show up with 6 crisp new $100 bills and I wouldn't be sad if I had to part with all of them.

I already asked him if he'd take $500 for it (as long as everything checked out as he says it will). He said he couldn't budge. He is selling it cause he needs the funds to fix his car. So $600 is as low as he'd go. I plan on showing up with $600 just in case. I will try once more to get him a little lower. We'll see what happens. Hopefully it looks this GOOD when I get there.

he did mention that it is stored outside but covered. Hopefully that won't matter. It will be in my garage once I get home :)

Vintage evinrude/Johnson's do have a good rep for lasting and being easy to fix, that's true.

I agree to show up with all the cash if you really want it, but allllways try for a deal. Most people aren't asking their bottom line on Craigslist - they expect to deal. They guy was asking I think 640 for mine - he let me have it for $500.

Depends on where you are, or what you find.

I bought a much bigger boat than those, and paid $400. for it and the trailer.

If anyone has followed my thread, there are more and more instances where I become a REAL cheapskate, and start really surfing for deals.

Not everyone will find those, (for instance the trailer-just a lucky deal living next to the neighbor)

My outboard needs some work, but overall, I should be able to finish this boat, for around 1K, and I hope it turns out nice enough that it is worth much more than that....Not sure on that one though, not many people comment on the thread as I go along.

Well, I went and made the plunge!!!! I bought that jon boat for $600!!!! I went and looked at it tonight. That thins sure is pretty!! It is VERY clean and SOLID!!! no scratches, dents, nothing!! He sealed it with some sealer within the past year or two. The motor is rather vintage, but its cool!!! He gave me the carb repair kit as promised. (looks simple enough)

Now it is time to plan and play!!!!

But the boat is definitely water ready. other than the carb issue, its ready to go!!

I will start a new thread here in the next day or two and post the pictures.

YAY!!!! \:D/

Not sure if it is any good or not (quality) but the trolling motor that came with it is a Minn Kota Endura 30 (30# thrust).
boat is a 1981 14' Jon Boat, 18HP Johnson motor, boat can take up to a 20HP motor

Came with EVERYTHING I need that is required by the boating laws of OHIO, brand new life jackets (4).

I think I am set, now its time to save and plan how the heck I'm going to carpet it, if at all.

pictures to follow shortly

All three motor boats that I have bought (two fiberglass and one tin) all ended up with one new and two newer motors due to buying a cheap platform to start with. Yes, you could get lucky with a cheaper motor, but experience has taught me things are cheap for a reason.

Of course there WAS a kayak (two human power model) and a sailboat in the past. I'm getting lazier as I get older! :lol:

Hey crankbait...congrats on the new tin! You have come to the right spot....as well as the other one I think we have a connection with!

Jeff

Woot! Another Ohio tinboater :)

I'm coming over to check this one out some time. East Fork doesn't stand a chance now!!!

How did you Craigslist experience go? I've had some shady encounters before.

Latest posts