figuring casting deck and floor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acwd

Reaction score
I am getting ready to put casting decks and a floor in a boat I got give to me. Basically its a hull or shell. Nothing inside. Someone stripped the inside of this boat originally it was a Richline Big 16 day cruiser. Anyway how do I figure out how the boat sits in the water without putting it in the water? Should the deck and floor be level with the top of the boat? Its a V bottom boat. About 66 inches wide at the transom and 70 something at the beam. This is my first build like this. All of the supports will be Aluminum and welded in. I have the technology to weld them in.

Thanks

Steve

I forgot to add where in the id numbers on this boat? The tag is long gone and I have searched all over the boat for something and have found nothing

Steve

At some point in history they also put id numbers on the rear of the boat etched into the aluminum. If that's not the case with yours I don't know that there would be another way to find them.

I have looked every common place that the ID numbers would be and nothing. So its off to battle the DNR! Just got to figure out how to make the floor and deck level when its in the water.

Thanks
Steve

It shouldnt matter too much but you may want to think about where you want your batteries, tank, motor weight, decking weight, etc. all of these variables can offset the weight causing the floor and/or deck not to be level. Even we're you stand and where a guest in the boat stands. It won't always be level but you may want to start by factoring those plans in and try to compensate for them the best you can. The most best way it put it in the water so you know where to start, in my opinion.

There is these tabs where the factory seats riveted in and going by them theres about 1 and 3/4 inch difference between the rear of the rear seat and the front of the front seat. Mind you this thing is 3 foot deep from the top of the boat to the bottom of the hull. I plan on using 1/2 inch plywood for decking well supported and putting the battery or batteries up front. The biggest motor I plan on using is a 1958 Mercury 20 HP on one lake that I go to but the rest are going to be a 9.9 hp on the 10 hp limit lakes. I plan on putting a livewell/seat in the middle of the boat centered from side to side and little to the back of the boat end to end. Use the the area under the front deck for storage for life jackets and such. Hope that gives you idea how things will lay in the boat. Will have a bow mount trolling motor and maybe a anchor havent decide on that yet dont use the one I got in my smaller boat.

Heres my thoughts on the deck since the front of the boat has less surface area it should be lower in the water? I will probably end up floating it on a pond and see how it sits and check for leaks. Basically most of the boat will be floor and it will be as low as i can get it on the sides and then have a deck up front about 9 to 10 inches from the top of the boat and back about 4 feet from the front. The floor to the top of the boat it like 16 to 18 inches. But before I do any of this I am going to wait on the state for a title then start building. I will get some more exact measurements soon.

Steve

Latest posts