G3 Projects Finally Completed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Landry

Reaction score
A little while back I installed a T-Top on my G3 1860(another post about that). When I installed it. I was restricted as to where I could fasten it down to the floor of the boat because I had to be able to get into the side of the console with the stand-offs without hitting wiring and cables. This had the bases attached to the aluminum floor between the stringers. I noticed that when running the boat, the floor would flex up and down from being pulled by the weight of the top. Not good, because somethng would eventually stress and crack from the flexing and I didn't want to have to do an expensive floor repair. The fix, shown in the first photo is a 1/4"X2"X14" strip of aluminum on each side. The two screws on each end of the aluminum go into the cross stringer and hold the aluminum tightly against the floor. The four screws in the middle of each strip go through the strip and screw into the floor, drawing it up tight to the strip. In addition to the screws, everything is bedded in 3M 5200.

Ttopbasefix.jpg

The second project is a mount that lets me remove the FF transducer and put it back in place while maintaining the adjustments. I needed some way to remove the FF because I dry stack the boat and those guys would have torn off the tranducer with the fork lift the first time they lifted the boat. The insert has the transducer mounted on it and slips down in a slot on the base piece. it's held in place with a thumbscrew ans is easily removed and laid over the transom.

transmount1.jpg

The last photo shows the transducer mounted on the boat.

transmount2.jpg

I'm done.. :D

Jim said:
I assume you work with metal? :D

Minimally.. I can drill, tap, and coutersink, but I'm not a machinist, and wouldn't know where to start. I'm just reasonably mechanically inclined. The Tranducer mount was made by a guy in North Carolina that makes custom CB antenna mounts. It was $100 shipped to me. It's a lotta green for a chunk of aluminum, but it's like the tool you have to have to finish the job. If you need it, it's worth whatever it costs.. LOL

Bob Landry said:
Jim said:
I assume you work with metal? :D

Minimally.. I can drill, tap, and coutersink, but I'm not a machinist, and wouldn't know where to start. I'm just reasonably mechanically inclined. The Tranducer mount was made by a guy in North Carolina that makes custom CB antenna mounts. It was $100 shipped to me. I designed it and a buddy who does CAD drew it up and sent it to me, and I emailed it to the machine shop and got a quote. It was cheaper than any of the shops locally. It's a lotta green for a chunk of aluminum, but it's like the tool you have to have to finish the job. If you need it, it's worth whatever it costs.. LOL

Latest posts