removing registration # decals

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankbait09

Reaction score
Has anyone ever removed registration decals from the sides of the boat from a previous owner?

If so, how did you get them off WITHOUT scratching the sides all up?

The ones on my boat are stuck on like glue and when i try to peel them off, they come off one teeny speck at a time. Its not easy!!

ideas?

I used a heat gun to remove mine and then gasoline on a rag to remove the sticky adhesive that was left. I was not concerned about the paint because I was repainting. Goof Off is another idea for the adhesive.

wd 40 works well for removing glue residue, a bit messy but let it soak on the residue for a bit and rub with a old t shirt. then clean with alcohol or anything to remove the oily residue from the wd 40.

Lighter fluid, wd40, goof off...all about does the same thing - gets that gunk off. ;)

Blow dryer, lighter fluid and razor blade has worked for me in the past on things like this.

Are you sure you had to remove the numbers. Was it from out of state. Here in MN the numbers dont change with ownership. Not sure at your location where ever that might be.

Jdholmes said:
Lighter fluid, wd40, goof off...all about does the same thing - gets that gunk off. ;)

Blow dryer, lighter fluid and razor blade has worked for me in the past on things like this.
+1 i used goof off/lighter fluid to remove some munufacturer stickers,and a plastic putty knife

Heat gun used wrong can burn the paint I am sure. It could also mess with the metal...but that is extreme. Keep it moving and you should be fine. Get the stickers and etc up to temp slower etc...don't focus on one small area or you could burn it. Like I said keep it moving.

Yah I usually wave it around...you don't need extreme heat for decal adhesive...in fact a blow dryer will likely do the job - its worked for me before.