BED LINER IN BOAT

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cartech5

Reaction score
I was just wondering would truck bed coating cause any corrosion on aluminum. I have some rustoleum bed coating I was going to put on the inside of the boat but I need some opinions before I do it.
Thanks in advance..

I used it as well, it adheres well. None of the paint is going to have an adverse effect...make sure you use self etching primer first. The most important part of a paint job is the prep.

I was going to do the same thing on the inside of my Sea Nymph...Seems like it will seal some as well as make a nice surface. Not that it would be a cure all for a leak but some of that stuff is pretty thick or can be.

what color you putting in there?Black would be hot they have lite gray?Just wondering

Don't see any reason at all to cause corrosion. Sounds like a great idea! Many benefits...non-skid, seals, long lasting, may even sound dampen a bit. Although it could add a decent amount of weight depending on how thick you apply it. Also as previously stated, could get a little warm if you use black but you can get it in a lot of different colors. Another thing to research, when I got my line-x in the bed of my truck I think there was a warning about cleaning up any fuel and some other chemicals that come into contact with it. I could be wrong or it could have been during the curing process only. So depending on where you fuel tank is, that MAY be something to consider too. Good luck to you and I want pics! :)

It's great going on, but if you ever develop a leak, its murderous to get off. I purchased a boat in November, and the inside was painted with a truck bed liner that was beginning to flake in spots--probably due to improper metal prep before application--so I decided I would strip it all off and reseal and repaint. Using commercial aircraft stripper, it takes a minimum of 3 coats to get it all off, and that's with applying, waiting 30 minutes, then using a stainless wire cup brush aggressively remove the stripper/liner. Its very tedious and very time consuming.

I used the black roll on kind in mine, it was excessivly dark but being the boat is camo'd , I used the black as a base and misted the entire area with a light tan which lightened it up a lot. Also, if you do, I'd recommend keeping fuel away for a few weeks to a month, I found that unless it is fully cured, fuel removes the stuff quite easily.

I used the gray stuff on my project. Just a heads up, I did all the prep work to a T but the stuff did start to peel in some spots. It still looks great, makes a non slip surface to walk on, and provides sound deadening but even if you do all the prep correctly, you still may have some seperation.

I can't think of a worst product to put on your boat then bedliner coating except black bedliner coating . Many of the bedliner coatings are very abrasive and down right painful when bare arms and legs are rubbed against the sides of a small boat . All bedliner coatings fade quickly when exposed to sunlight and lose there gloss becoming a not very attractive flat color . As stated above when you go to remove it and most likely you will its a bear of a job . You want the sides of your boat smooth so you can wipe fish guts and everything else off easily . If you want a no slip floor there are much better ways of doing it then bedliner . There is a reason none of the boat manufacturers use that stuff on their boats . For the record if i showed up to go fishing with someone and saw that they had black bedliner on the inside of their boat , i wouldn't go .

Boo,
I was just going to do the floor on my boat, below the seat level etc. I don't generaly get my arms down there, and if I do I don't suppose I would be feeling very good anyway. Now I would agree its rough stuff.

So what do you suggest that is a non-slip coating that would work?

I go barefoot all the time in mine and haven't had any issues of discomfort. I also used a gray tint so temperature has not been an issue either. I've had mine in for a couple of years and haven't noticed any fading yet. I think Bed liner is a good option for a non-slip surface and it also adds some other benefits too.

When I bought my 16 foot Dura Craft, someone had painted it with the wrong type of bottom paint. As a result of the electrolysis, the bottom had some pitting, and the center keel was completely gone.

After I sandblasted all the old copper paint off the bottom, and got to bare metal, I re-built the center keel with a piece of aluminum angle. Then I painted the bottom with the 2 part Rust-o-Leum truck bed liner. Going on 7 years later, and well over a thousand hours of use in salt water, it's holding up pretty good.

My only suggestion would be to prime bare aluminum with zinc chromate primer, to give better adhesion of the coating.

PSG-1 said:
When I bought my 16 foot Dura Craft, someone had painted it with the wrong type of bottom paint. As a result of the electrolysis, the bottom had some pitting, and the center keel was completely gone.

After I sandblasted all the old copper paint off the bottom, and got to bare metal, I re-built the center keel with a piece of aluminum angle. Then I painted the bottom with the 2 part Rust-o-Leum truck bed liner. Going on 7 years later, and well over a thousand hours of use in salt water, it's holding up pretty good.

My only suggestion would be to prime bare aluminum with zinc chromate primer, to give better adhesion of the coating.
I used some self eatching primer it should stick pretty good to that shouldnt it?

I used the black rustoleum with mine.

There are no issues with adhesion so far...it seems quite hard. I cleaned, sprayed self-etching, then sprayed the bedliner. It took 3-4 cans on my 14 foot. FYI - most economic place to get it was walmart @4.77 a can.

I only used it on the floor.

In regard to fading and losing gloss...the rustoleum doesn't have a gloss to it anyways.

In regards to weight, rustoleum is not going to add any significant weight. The professional bedliners are the ones that have weight.

In regards to heat, I couldn't see it being much hotter than the bare aluminum...which would be hot. ;)

Also...there are boat manufacturers that are coating the interiors with some form of bed liner/traction paint. I have seen them at bass pro.

So far it seems a great way to get a good traction floor economically.

Latest posts