Sailing on an America's cup boat (Stars & Stripes)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
We took a cruise last week. One of the stops was St. Maartens. A very special attraction there was the opportunity to sail/crew on America's Cup racing sailboat. The REAL thing.

We were lucky to crew on the Stars and Stripes. That is the very same boat that Dennis Connor won the America's Cup back from the Australians in 1987. Hard to believe that we were actually sailing on the same $140,000.00 70 foot long craft.

Since my wife and I were the "senior citizens' on board, we did very little of the grunting and grinding that made the boat sail so fast. For $90.00 each, it was one of the most exciting side trips we've ever taken. Pictures below. The far away shots were from our cruise ship cabin and show the second round of matches..after our contest.

regards, R

1IMG_9120.jpg

1IMG_9277.jpg

1IMG_9289.jpg

1IMG_9301.jpg

1IMG_9307.jpg

1IMG_9269.jpg

1IMG_9267.jpg

That is very cool!

My dad kept his nasty old sailboat in a slip on lake Huron (Near Saginaw, MI) next to a 12 meter racing boat...it was like beauty and the beast.

I had the fortune to crew on the 12 meter a few times while I was still in high school and it is an experience that will be burned into my memory forever. It is amazing how fast you can go and not really make any noise doing it!

I was impressed how lean and mean the boats were. No frills at all.

One of our big ship cruise-mates wanted to know if the America's Cup Boats had "cabins" on board?? Heck, the only thing that was below decks was more sails.

If you had to go potty..I think they'd just drop you in the sea and pick you up on the next go-around.

The program ran for about 2 1/2 hours. 20 minutes were spent getting us from the dock to the boats and assigning everyone their jobs. 40 minutes to practice and get everyone up to speed on the boat and what was going to happen. Then 90 minutes of flat-out racing.

The boats passed each other with less than a yard to spare two or three times. We lost to Canada II by about 18 inches on the final leg.

Great fun it was!!!!

I have zip-lined and white-water rafted...this was, by far, more fun and exciting. R

That is so cool! Years ago I was in St. Thomas with friends and I passed up a chance to sail on a 12 meter racing sailboat. It's one of my great regrets. Great pictures!

Yea, we almost missed this opportunity too. Back in Houston, we had checked the offerings on the cruise company's web site. I do not remember this listing being made available.

Luckily, my wife was reading the side trip brochure in our cabin after we were underway. She found the offering to sail the 12 meter America's Cup boats. We jumped on it immediately.

She is always willing to try something exciting...be it zip-lining; white-water rafting.. or this. Pretty neat after being married to this old grouch for 52 years!

R

I've been asked how/where/etc. one would make arrangement for a package like this. Certainly, a cruise boat can make it available. But, they don't show every outing that is in every port. Some people on our boat were staying in a hotel for the week and just signed up on their own.

Here is a LINK to the web site where one can arrange for the adventure. regards, R

https://www.12metre.com/

Great story, and thanks for sharing.

Any idea what top speed was?

Yes,. Someone asked the capt. and he said "about 15 knots".

It doesn't sound like much if you haven't been on a sailboat. I used to own a 27 ft Catalina (which is a barge compared to these boats). it was running between 5 and 6 knots. When the rail is buried and you are hanging on for dear life... that is plenty fast. R

That must have been a real thrill!

I've sailed in little dinghys before and had a blast. We sold the last Vanguard 15 racing dinghy due to advanced age! I couldn't duck under the swinging boom fast enough anymore. :shock:

At the advanced age of 72, I ALMOST bought a Vanguard 14 just a month ago. My wife convinced me that it wouldn't get enough use on our little pond. She was probably right...but...after this experience, I kind of wish that it was sitting in my back yard right now. R

In my younger days, I was a heavy air Catamaran sailor. As far as an adrenaline rush, there's little that can compete with a 16' HobieCat in 25 knots of wind. My sailing buddy and I were on the water when no one else would take their boat off the trailer. Big boat sailing is just as much fun, and the worst day on the water is better than the best day at work. A trip on an America's Cup boat would really top off a great life of sailing.

richg99 said:
At the advanced age of 72, I ALMOST bought a Vanguard 14 just a month ago. My wife convinced me that it wouldn't get enough use on our little pond. She was probably right...but...after this experience, I kind of wish that it was sitting in my back yard right now. R

Funny thing is that a couple from Utah bought the Vanguard 15 and they were a LOT older than we were! They drove down from Utah to Southern California, inspected it, hooked it up and trailered it back to Utah that same day! The husband was very excited just like a little kid!

Latest posts