Cooler for a livewell?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonLester

Reaction score
Hello all...

I was just thinking about my boat. And since its cold and rainy out I cannot do much with it so its plans and figuring instead of tinkering.

So I had a thought. I am going to do a few things with my Sea Nymph but I mostly want the room for my kids to go along with me fishing. So I am not really wanting to strip the benches out and deck the boat....mainly at this poing because I am not sure of the stability etc and if there are any leaks... So for now, at least I have a basic boat with benches. However, at times a livewell is so nice to have. And with that thought its got me thinking. We have seemed to collect alot of medium sized coolers (livewell sized in most boats I have been in) Has anyone here ever built one out of a cooler...filling and draining being the big issue I see but coule be done with a small bilge pump. And then removed easy...Could be a nice simple (read cheap as I have most of the parts) way for me to have a livewell.

Probably a silly thought but I am thinking up projects I can do until the weather cooperates.

Lots of info here and elsewhere about using coolers for livewells. I use a 75 qt cooler for one myself, and it works great. I don't do tourneys though, instead just use a bilge pump to get some water in and recycle it every once in while. If you do tourneys, the set-up would be more complicated, but still very do-able. I know kits are made for just such a conversion. One big advantage to using a cooler is that if you don't need it for a particular trip, you can just take it out and gain the extra space. And cleaning is a breeze as well.

Skidz

A Cooler and a Super fish saver kit will be your easiest way out.

https://www.landbigfish.com/showcase.cfm?PID=2382

s7_013317_999_01