Salt Water and Tin boats?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whistler

Reaction score
My wife has got out her map and is looking at a few vacation spots for a week or so this summer. Of course like most women she likes the water but usually for a different purpose than us men. If it does work out that we head for the salt water(s) I'd like to drag my boat along if the area suits the need. What should I do (1) prior to using in saltwater (2)while down there for the week or so and (3) after I return home to prevent problems down the road. I know several of you guys have tin boats and use them in saltwater. What precautions do you take? What about the trailer?

whistler said:
My wife has got out her map and is looking at a few vacation spots for a week or so this summer. Of course like most women she likes the water but usually for a different purpose than us men. If it does work out that we head for the salt water(s) I'd like to drag my boat along if the area suits the need. What should I do (1) prior to using in saltwater (2)while down there for the week or so and (3) after I return home to prevent problems down the road. I know several of you guys have tin boats and use them in saltwater. What precautions do you take? What about the trailer?

1) If your boat is painted I would put a good coat of wax on it - If not continue on to #2
2) Just make sure you rinse the boat and Trailer off good after each use. They do make a product called salt away that works very well (I have used it) you can use it on the boat, trailer, and flush the engine with it.
3) Before heading home I would give the whole rig a real nice soapy bath and you should have no worries.

Captain Ahab said:
Flush your motor with FW after each use in the salt- same for your trailer

Where are you going with it?

Capt is right I should have mentioned the motor flushing more, it is probably the most important thing to do. It's the first thing I do when I get home I try to do it while the motor is still warm. After flushing the motor everything else gets a good rinsing including boat, trailer, truck (rear wheels), rods, reels, and tackle.

I've got 3 boats that I run in the salt, 2 tin and one glass. They all get a good dousing with water after each use and if I make a mess during the trip they may get a soapy bath.

While it can't hurt, I think flushing the motor after use in saltwater is not necessary. I never flush my motors and it has never been an issue. I had a 200 HP Johnson on my big boat that was in perfect operating condition when I sold it with over 4000 saltwater hours on it...it had never been flushed after use.

Think about it: There are thousands upon thousands of folks that slip or moor their boats in saltwater and they never flush after use.

I flush the engine after every salt outing...better safe than sorry. When I had my bigger boat in a hanging strap type slip, I rigged up an over-the-transom deal and flushed her there, too. That engine had a flusher fitting on the main engine for the hose. ( 150 hp Evinrude)

You had best rinse the fittings off on your boat every time. Lots of bass-boat fittings are not the right material to hold up if salt is left on them.

Don't worry too much about it and have fun. Do remember that lots of salt water fish have teeth. Don't stick your hand in them to get a hook out.. Get a really long pliers or buy a special long hook-out.

regards, R

Captain Ahab said:
Flush your motor with FW after each use in the salt- same for your trailer

Where are you going with it?

Captain the destination has yet to be decided it's all still in the planning stages. That's one of the reasons I'm asking these questions. If it's feasible to take my boat I want to know what's involved. We do have friends that have a place in the Sarasota Bay area and we tried that a couple of years ago. Enjoyed it a lot but we have pets this year so we have to find a pet friendly location. Thanks for the response.

richg99 said:
.....................Don't worry too much about it and have fun. Do remember that lots of salt water fish have teeth. Don't stick your hand in them to get a hook out.. Get a really long pliers or buy a special long hook-out.regards, R

I watch several of the Fl. and other salt water fishing shows. Took me a couple of shows to figure out why they wouldn't "lip em". It's one of those things you wouldn't do but once! Even a slow ole country boy like me would learn that one pretty quick!

Another good trick for saltwater is to plug in a regular old yard sprinkler. Leave it under the boat and running for a while. Really helps to wash the underside of the boat as well as the trailer!

Jeff

If your trailer is painted steel and not galvanized or aluminum that is the biggest thing that will get ruined in a hurry from salt water. Once the steel starts rusting you need to take care of it right away with new prep and paint. That is because you launch the boat in the salt and then park the trailer and it sits all day with the salt drying and corroding the trailer. If you can rinse it every time you launch it you will be better off. If it is galvanized or aluminum then you will be okay. Since this is only a short trip I wouldn't worry about the boat or motor too much. You will be back to running it in fresh water and it will get plenty of flushing out. I run my boats in salt most of the time and a good rinsing does the trick. Salt water will of course corrode things up 50 times faster than fresh water as you know.

Oh yes, if you fish Sarasota Bay take a few gold spoons and work them slowly on any grass flat, you will catch red fish. Good Luck.

surfman said:
If your trailer is painted steel and not galvanized or aluminum that is the biggest thing that will get ruined in a hurry from salt water. Once the steel starts rusting you need to take care of it right away with new prep and paint. That is because you launch the boat in the salt and then park the trailer and it sits all day with the salt drying and corroding the trailer. If you can rinse it every time you launch it you will be better off. If it is galvanized or aluminum then you will be okay. Since this is only a short trip I wouldn't worry about the boat or motor too much. You will be back to running it in fresh water and it will get plenty of flushing out. I run my boats in salt most of the time and a good rinsing does the trick. Salt water will of course corrode things up 50 times faster than fresh water as you know.

Oh yes, if you fish Sarasota Bay take a few gold spoons and work them slowly on any grass flat, you will catch red fish. Good Luck.

Well you got me there as my trailer is painted steel. I actually repainted and put new lights on it last summer. Last time we went to Sarasota we got a captain & boat from one of the local marinas and went out fishing one day. Spent a good part of the morning and our time watching him throw a cast net for bait. We were under the impression he was supposed to have already caught the bait prior meeting us? Oh well we enjoyed our self after we got going. We fished in the shallows along the mangroves in the Sarasota area. Really not for sure where he took us? :wink: We caught a few fish and one keeper red. Had an excellent evening meal back at the condo.

Latest posts