Suggest Some Modifications...(Pics)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmed999

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I bought my Aulumicraft 1236 last spring to go fishing on the 8 acre lake behind my house. :D I had a trolling motor and depth finder put on before I brought her home. I fish mostly for bass and crappie. The lake is only 13 feet deep at the deepest point.

I now want to add rod holders for crappie fishing, a simple anchoring system, seats, and other similar modifications. I’m nervous about drilling holes in my boat since I have no experience with this type of thing. :oops:

Do you guys have any simple modification suggestions? See the pics I attached.

Thanks for your help! 8)

Boat 1.jpg
Boat 3.jpg
Boat 5.jpg
Boat 6.jpg

Nice pond hopper!

If this was me setting up this tinny to spider rigper mouths..here's what my list would be:

1. Floor - I think a wood/carpet solution would be the likely choice for you.

2. Seats - When I'm spider rigging for crappie I want to be comfortable, I don't want my seat to feel like its about to snap, and I don't want to have to move alot to get to my rods to set the hook.

3. Rod holders - If you're spider rigging off the front, I would invest in a removable T-bar and mount my rod holders to that.

I could see that thing now with a shiny Driftmaster T bar across the front...4 or 5 crappie rods....minnow bucket...lippin' slabs.

Have fun with it...look forward to seeing your mods.

Thanks guys!

This site is soooo helpful!

I was thinking about mounting rod holders like 1 on each side of the 2 benches but with some type of clamp so I could move them if I wanted. I just hate to drill holes.

I was also thinking about clamping a drink holder on too but not sure if that is possible.

Hmmmm....now let's see....

- poling platform
- radar arch
- centre console
- livewells fore and aft
- t-top
- captains chair
- guest berths
- head
- etc.

Dude, I have no problem drilling holes in boats. Invite me down and I'll drill all the holes you need! I would just do a simple floor in there between the benches. You don't want clamp on rod holders. They are junk!

Take the plunge and drill a hole...the rest become much easier.

---
I am here: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.086592,-115.063763

One of this site's sponsors has a neat rig for flexibility with your seat set up. Look half way down this front page at......

https://www.tinboats.net/

R

SliderG5
Written by Mike Plockelman
I don't know about you, but I hate buying things that break easily, don't work well, or are just a pain to install. That's not the case with the SliderG5, as it is virtually indestructable, weighing in at around eleven pounds and machined from 12 gauge steel. In fact, when people pick one up for the first time they say things like, “This thing is heavy-duty! It'll outlast my boat!”

The sliding wedge that the swivel and seat attaches to is no different. Made from extremely tough, self-lubricating three-quarter inch thick UHMW plastic, it is built to last. Even the included hardware is top quality - the whole system screws down to the top and front of your bench with eleven #14 stainless steel sheet metal screws and star washers, which keep the screws from vibrating free. Your swivel is attached to the wedge with four stainless machine screws, washers, and lock nuts. The SliderG5 is not cheap – but most quality products are not. Price out all the stainless steel hardware at your local True Value some time and you will see what I mean.
Installation is straightforward. Place on your bench and screw it down. The last two screws on each end of the SliderG5 function as built-in stops. They are spaced wider than the inside screws, and the two channels machined into the plastic wedge allow the wedge to pass over the four inside screws, but not the outside ones. The wedge floats very slightly inside the channel, but bottoms out when you sit on your fishing seat. In other words, your weight holds you in place, yet you can easily change positions along your bench.

looks to me like some holes were drilled to mount the TM and FF, so not a good excuse now dude. A driftmaster 2 or 4 rod holder up front would be perfect, just think about the placement BEFORE drilling the holes (only 3) :shock: with the FF and TM there as well. I have driftmaster rod holders on my boat, rock solid, but you do have to drill (only 3) to get a 2 or 4 rod holder.

Drilling the first holes. What boater hasn't had the doubts and hesitation before making that FIRST hole in their boat? Doesn't even matter if the boat was owned by 5 or 6 other people before...and they had made it into a pin-cushion. Drilling YOUR first hole is frightening. What if it is in the wrong place? What if it is too big?

Well, with a lot of experience...I can tell you that the first hole PROBABLY WILL BE in the wrong place.

These days, I try to clamp things down and try them out before making them permanent. Even with all of the thought and measuring, somehow, when the boat is on the water, you quickly find out that where it should be.....is NOT where you put it.

Go slow, and don't kill yourself if you do put it in the wrong place. You won't be alone, and the boat will still float.

regards, R

I've installed hundreds of trim tabs on boats well over 100k..... :lol: (among a bunch of other stuff that you would think would be nerve racking)

Drilling holes doesn't phase me.

You get used to it. :p

Check out the install video on my website (www.sliderg5.com). That was me drilling holes in my dad's Alumacraft at Christmas. You can guess what he got from me for Christmas this year!

Take care,
Mike

BaitCaster said:
Hmmmm....now let's see....

- poling platform
- radar arch
- centre console
- livewells fore and aft
- t-top
- captains chair
- guest berths
- head
- etc.
Refrigerator
Stove/Oven
Sun deck

I figured I wasn't being too over the top since richg99 gave a shout out for me! Thanks, richg99 by the way-appreciated! Jdholmes, I've been following your Valco build too, by the way! A couple Sliders might be just what you need too! :wink:

Hmmmm... and here I didn't even know what a "shout out" was. Just too old for these new phrases, I guess.

I really don't have any problem with pointing someone to a product from a company that sponsors this site. Heck, the sponsors are paying to keep our best sites going. Now, the product has to do the job.

I can't use the slider given my bass boat seating configuration. But, years ago, when I had boats that would have benefited by using a slider....I would have jumped on a great solution to a constant problem.

regards, R

p.s. Now that I think further on it....the slider should be also advertised on the site https://www.microskiff.com
Those guys all have small, mostly fiberglass, boats that have space constraints. Lots of them use tiller motors, and sliding back and forth would work with that arrangement.

Latest posts