Anchor Setup Help...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmed999

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my boat...

Boat 6.jpg

The lake is an 8 acre lake and only 13 feet at the deepest part. What type of anchor setup do y'all recommend? Right now I have this one...

https://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Grapnel-Anchor-Kit/product/10205177/147123

but I have to tie it to the battery handle and that is a pain. I would like a setup that reels up and down. I need a heavier anchor because that one doesn't always hold the boat in place.

Any suggestions?

Thanks! 8)

You would probably do fine with a mushroom type anchor. Walmart etc usually carries these. I use one like your link on my kayak but thats not much drag. I acually also have an anchor trolly on the kayak that is handy when moving the anchor around letting the boat nose into the wind or the tail either one. It works by sliding a rope with a loop on a couple pullies (it isn't as complex as I am making it sound). I haven't seen it done on any bigger boats but have considered it for my Sea Nymph. As for one that reals up...just look at bass pro etc. My guess is most will be pricey.

LonLB said:
That anchor should be holding your boat rock solid.

Are you letting enough line out?

Even at only 3 1/2 pounds...seems light for a boat like that...If it is let straight down it never will hold it. If its tossed out it will hook in. Sometimes thats not good around here...Thats why I mostly use the mushroom type.

I use a folding claw type anchor for my tin and fiberglass boat. I actually transfer the same anchor between the two stored in a canvas bag with the chain and about 150 feet of rope. I even had a very small folding claw anchor on my kayak which was rigged through a couple of "D" rings so I didn't have to turn around to lower or lift.

I have also sacrificed anchors to Davy Jone's locker before.

I rented a row boat once that had a gallon size metal can of cement for an anchor. Talk about sore muscles!

Check these out... https://www.worthco.com/marine/anchoraccess.html for the anchor system. They are available in black or white painted, and the AnchorMate II is available in stainless as well. They usually run around $75 for the painted ones and $125 for the stainless ones. Not cheap, but they work well and last a long time if taken care of.

On the anchor, +1 for a mushroom, particularly for pond fishing with a sand or mud bottom.