How to clean the outer hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMichael

Reaction score
Hey guys, loving the site. I've been trying to clean this brown scum off the outer hull. I think it's from fuel/oil floating on the lake as it's always on the water line of the boat. I've tried soap/degrease and the pressure washer with no luck. Whats the easiest and best way to clean this stuff off of aluminum?

if you're pretty sure it's a oil/gas mix, try using just plain gas on a rag, that will dissolve the oil/gas mix quickly, then rinse well, then wash with soap and rinse well again.

If it's just the metal getting grungee from being in stained water, just have to scrub and scrub.

Sounds like the waterline that gets there just from stained water. My boat has the same issue, but I can't imagine it being from oil/gas. Its hard to get off. I made the mistake of not cleaning my boat every time I brought it in, now the water line appears to be permanent. Maybe if I wash it every time I bring it in now it won't be a problem. I scrubbed the heck out of it to no avail.

I feel pretty sure it was oil/gas as it was clean that morning of that fishing trip, and on the boat when I got it back on the trailer. The wind was blowing whatever it was all to the side of the lake where I was fishing around some cypress trees. I could easily see it on the surface of the water as I was moving around through the trees. I just didn't realize it was going to stick to my boat like that or I would have avoided it. I haven't tried gas on it but I will give that a shot. Thanks.

I have similar spots like that on my fiberglass boat hull. Tried different rubbing compounds with no success so pretty much just left it alone and keep a good coat of wax over the hull.

My aluminum boat has a painted hull so painting would be my fix.

Good luck.

Latest posts