motor stand

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That thing must be heavy!

I watched a boat repair shop change my 48hp to a 40hp. They had motorized hoists and a metal engine stand like those used for automobile engines.

Good luck and be careful!

It's not too hard, use 2x6 or 2x4... Remember, in this instance, overkill is a good thing lol

I am in the process of building one now, I am trying to put industrial casters on mine, as I want to be able to move it around in my garage.

Not to direct you from this fantastic forum, but I stumbled on this this morning, and it looks like a good starting point.
https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=266975

thanks, ive looked on youtube and found a few but they are all putting tillers on them 25hp and lower so i wasnt sure if the same would apply to a bigger one, the last thing i wanna do is drop it :roll:

PitFishin' said:
thanks, ive looked on youtube and found a few but they are all putting tillers on them 25hp and lower so i wasnt sure if the same would apply to a bigger one, the last thing i wanna do is drop it :roll:

Exactly. I like the one in the link I provided, looks very heavy duty... however I would either throw in a few more screws or use bolts on the 'mount' area where the horizontal boards meet the vertical 'legs'. I like that the angle bracing, and think its done very well in that example, and also like the bracing at the bottom connecting the vertical legs together.

It's a little stronger looking then mine, but I'm sure mine will be plenty strong for my 35hp johnson. I buried so many screws in mine I had to recharge the cordless drill. :LOL2: :wink:

I have a homemade motor stand made out of 2x10 and 2x4s. I used it to hang two motors at once, a 20 hp two stroke and a 4hp two stroke. It was probably overkill but then again............

How much does that 70hp weigh? It took all of my grunting power and few four lettered words to lift the new 15hp four stroke onto the stand and then transom!

right on Bigkat! i replied earlier before i looked at the link, we were headed out to dinner and didnt have time. that pretty much says it all right there. so, thank you. As for the weight i have no idea it looks heavy, but i think me and a friend coud prob lift it. im gonna work on getting this thing built this week gotta get the motor off so i can rebuild the transom :D gotta keep the progress movin if i wanna be fishin by spring. thanks fellas!

I can get my hands on an engine hoist if i really need one, but i think we could pick it up. ill look around and see if i can find out how heavy it is before i do anything.

you must be some strong guys...!

"HP 70 FAQ | Ask.com
www.ask.com/faqcentral/HP_70.html
Jump to What is the weight of a 70HP Johnson outboard 1999?‎: The dry weight of a 1999 model, 70 hp Johnson outboard is 250 lbs."

I used to lift weights to keep up with work at a utility worker for Ma Bell when I was working so I thought lifting the new 15hp four stroke was a piece of cake. My problem was actually finding a place to grab it to lift it easily. Having an extra pair of hands and eyes will really help! Be safe.

Here are some good "build your own" ideas.....

https://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?122748-Outboard-Motor-Stand-Designs

I built something similar to the first wooden one here using 2x6's Made sure everything was braced. Worked fine on my 50HP - approx. 225 lbs.

What about just a regular engine stand? $60
https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-stand-32916.html
Found these pics online

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327615986.053492.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327615986.053492.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 147
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327616025.791621.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327616025.791621.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 147
nice i never really thought of that :roll: but i did build one out of some scrap wood i had layin around the garage, gonna try to get the motor off this weekend. i know nothing about outboards, a little nervous about disconnection the throttle and steering.

The best way to learn is just do it and ask questions when you get stuck! That's what I always do. :mrgreen: Take pictures before disassembling of anything you might be unsure of. Then when you are putting it back together you can refer to the pics for placement.

Latest posts