Hope I can save this one

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HANGEYE

Reaction score
Had a tree blow down and it scored a direct hit on my little 12' Northwoods. :shock: My chainsaw doesn't want to cooperate at this time, so I will have to try to get it out in the spring. I'm hopeing for the best but expecting the worst. [-o< Wish me luck, I think I'm going to need it.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 557
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 557
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I couldn't let my boat sit like that can you borrow a chainsaw.

Ohh man that sucks. I think any added weight from rain/snow/ice could be the difference in the boat having minor damage to major damage, so I agree in doing something ASAP. If nothing else, take a hand saw and cut off some of the bows that are only adding weight and not supporting the tree against the ground.

There is no way I could sit and wait until spring to see If my boat is salvageable. If you don't want to cut it at least move it. Chain, Tow Hitch, 4 wheel drive.

sixgun86 said:
There is no way I could sit and wait until spring to see If my boat is salvageable. If you don't want to cut it at least move it. Chain, Tow Hitch, 4 wheel drive.

I agree I'd be doing something...Anyone close to him?...I'd be going to help if he were close...but I believe he's a bit far from me.

12 hrs away from me so just a bit too far or I'd be happy to help. I agree with not letting it sit. I'm sure you guys get lots of snow and that added weight can't be good for it. I don't think I'd try pulling it out or dragging the tree off of it though as that would probably do more damage. Not to take sides here, but I think Bigkat650 has got the best advice.

Got some help on the way. My son is going up next weekend. I also lost my camper on the other side of the tree. There is no saving this though. The entire front overhand is smashed. If the tree hit it any harder, I think it would have sliced it right in half. Will be talking to insurance when I get word on the boat. Thanks for the motivation to act on this now and not wait till spring. And thanks for the concern about my situation and thoughts of ways to help. This is the best group on the internet. Thank you very much for being here.

Attachments

• Copy of camper12.jpg
    Copy of camper12.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 522
Just a little more info on the camper. The tree nocked the door off for the gas tank storage on the side. The entrance door was warped so bad, I had to pry it open to gain access and in the process, it was destroyed (removed completly). Had to get in to remove belongings. The large side window is now a pile of shattered glass on the ground along with the windows on the other side. On the overhang or upper bed, the roof is smashed down so far that I couldn't pull the matteress out. The jack stands were pushed up into the framing at all 3 points. The cement blocks were pushed up into the floor far enough that it pretty much destroyed the cabinets. It is pretty much a total loss. I will try to save the cook stove, furnace and fridge. Taking the pics to the insurance man tomorrow.

Wow, that's a lot of damage. Looks like it's just a few lighter limbs on it from the picture so I'm guessing they are blocking the view of a major portion of the trunk since it caused that much damage. At least you had insurance to cover it although I've found that I'd rather have my item than an insurance check in most cases.

Dang and that camper looked nice....you can see in the pic it looks bent in half...Sorry about your luck...I hope the boat faired better....

Bet you'll be dropping a few trees soon. I know most people that have stuff like this happen tend to start cutting to avoid any more damage. My neighbor had one go through his roof...lots of trees around the house. After that he cut them way back.

Here is another pic from the front of the camper showing the size of the other half of the tree.

Attachments

• camp2.jpg
    camp2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 489
That really sucks. Good luck with it...hopefully it was lots of bouncy branches and not the brunt of the trunk.

FYI, we stopped parking things under pine trees when we realized the acidity of the needles was damaging our vehicles.

Latest posts