Best fasteners?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badbagger

Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question but with issues with aluminum boats and electrolysis and the like, what type of metal fasteners/bolts/screws are best? Stainless I've heard is a bad thing... so hence the question.

Just bought a 3 bank charger and it's on the way so want to ensure I start off right and don't have any issues down the road from a foolish mistake when I pickup some screws to mount it with.

Thanks

For things that need a strong fastener, stainless is your best bet. May be a dissimilar metal, but will give you fewer problems than the other options.

Otherwise aluminum rivets. I've held MOST things together on my boat with Rivets.

Yep I have always heard stainless is the way to go, and so that's what I have done as well.

yup. Stainless steel hardware coated in 3M 5200 is your best bet. It's incredibly strong and corrosion resistant and the 5200 will minimize electrolysis issues due to the contact of dissimilar metals.

I have a 32 yr old aluminum boat that came from salt water and the stainless hardware caused very little if any problems to it after all that time.
I have replaced almost everything with stainless and aluminum.

Latest posts