To continue or not....?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acwd

Reaction score
Well I sent the paperwork in to get a title to the boat that I am wanting to fix up. The plate with serial number is gone and no serial number stamped on the hull or anywhere else on the boat. Anyways the lady at the DNR office said that they would send out Conservation officer to inspect the boat. So ok he comes out and inspects the boat and finds a really faint outline of a Missouri registration number and runs it. Comes back no record found. He tells me to send a email to the state of Missouri and have them check and see if they have a record on that number. So I did. I get a response and they send me a link to a form to fill out. On one part of the form you have to check a box or it will be declined. I am none of those in that part of the form. So I send back another email in more detail that the state is requiring the information that I requested. Looking at the form you have to get it notarized and this and that. I live a 130 miles from Missouri in Illinois. If I have to have it notarized in Missouri. Thats a long drive just for a yes or no question on a piece of paper to send to the state to get a title. Do I continue with all if this hassle or scrap the dang thing and buy a boat with a good title? I am all new to this legal crap gives me a headache thinking about it. Opinions?

Steve

Im going to just be easy on this subject because it's going to do nothing but piss me off, i hate laws like this there is absolutely no reason for state or government to have any say so what so ever. Personally i would sell it for scrap alum is worth a decent ammount of money right now and take that money and put it towards a boat with a title because obviously the morrons that make the laws we have to abide by seriously have a corn cob stuck up where the sun dont shine. Or talk to a lawyer and see what they say, from your state and also the state that is in question.

Goodluck man !!

I would try to contact them again and explain that you are out of state and ask if they wouldn't accept an IL notary. I've had to have several documents notarized in the past, but it's never mattered what state it was notarized from.

I had the same missing HIN situation with my boat which came from an estate sale. I'm in AR and the last registration was from TN. I contacted the TN Game and Fish and they pulled up the registration info. They wouldn't give me the information over the phone but they mailed it to me.

If the DNR officer knew how to properly investigate a boat with a missing hull ID number, he would have known that ALL boats have another hull ID number attached in another location, and would have found this tag, and ran the hull ID number (I went through this to get a new title for my jetboat)

Typically, the main hull ID number tag will be on the starboard transom of any boat. As for the second ID tag, it depends on the manufacturer.

For instance, on most DuraCraft johnboats, if you use an inspection mirror, and check the underside of the engine mount area, you should see a hull ID tag affixed here.

On my 16 foot Triton, the secondary ID tag is located on the port side of the inside of the bow compartment.

Again, it varies from mfg. to mfg., but, DNR/marine investigators know where each manufacturer puts the secondary tag for any particular model of vessel.

They should be able to find that second ID tag and run the number to clear it up.

I feel for ya

Nc gave me the run around like that trying to register my boat in nc. I got pissed off and just kept it registered in TN.
Never had a problem being checked with the wardens

Heres a update. After sending a blunt and to the point email to the state of Missouri I get a reply and a different form. No notary on this one! And one page too! But I still have questions so in the morning I will be phoning them. And all of this has to approved by them! So either way I still might be left holding the bag! I have been looking for another boat with a title!

Steve

When the Conservation Officer thinks its stupid for him to come out and inspect the boat and fill out his little form that sound have been a flag right there. The notary on the other form said county of or city of st louis . So that made me think that I had to get it done in Missouri. The CO even ran the number and came back no record found so you really think that Missouri is going to find it too? The boat is a late 50s model I believe and the MO registration number is at least that old too! I do know that the state of IL doesnt keep inactive records that long and that was from the DNR office themselves.

Steve

UPDATE! I called the state of Missouri this morning. Talked to this lady about the forms that I was sent. Anyways she transferred me to another lady. So I told her what I needed and explained what I was doing. She ran the number and no record found. So she put me on hold for awhile and came back and told me that they dont keep records that long over there and she would send me a letter stating that they dont have a record! No forms no hassle no fee! She would get the letter in the mail today or Monday and if I didnt get anything in the mail by Feb 6 to call her! I thanked her tremendously for her help! Now the next question is should I send her flowers? LOL

Steve

Flowers would be nice! :LOL2:
They make it a real hastle here in MD to get boats titled as well. I'm glad it's worked out for you at least!

The Conservation officer told me once I get the letter from the state of Missouri. Send it along with the form he filled out and the registration/title form. They would send me a title and registration. Since it has no serial or hull numbers the state will issue me one. I have another boat that I got give to me 20 years ago by my uncle and I licensed and got a homemade title for it and it was a walk in the park. Filled out the form wrote a letter and sent it in. few weeks later had a title and registration. But now geez! But when I get the letter I will call the conservation officer and see if thats all I need before sending it in!

Steve

JamesM56alum said:
Im going to just be easy on this subject because it's going to do nothing but piss me off, i hate laws like this there is absolutely no reason for state or government to have any say so what so ever. Personally i would sell it for scrap alum is worth a decent ammount of money right now and take that money and put it towards a boat with a title because obviously the morrons that make the laws we have to abide by seriously have a corn cob stuck up where the sun dont shine. Or talk to a lawyer and see what they say, from your state and also the state that is in question.

Goodluck man !!

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Indians got along fine with dugout canoes for millenia... Now you need a **** notarized letter to get a boat of modernity wet.

4 words: Don't Tread On Me!!!!!!

There is a ZERO tolerance for political posts here. I would be careful.

Latest posts