Need some opinions on this situation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowWalker

Reaction score
I started to strip the paint on my 16 foot semi v last night. I found some things that worry me. I am wondering if it is worth continuing with this, or If I should find something else.

This picture shows two areas that worry me. where the bow meets the bottom, there is a pretty good dent there, and that is 3 layers of aluminum. It looks like someone tried to fill it with some sort of sealer, but I remember this spot leaking the one time I was in it before I purchased it. There is actually a small gap between the pieces that make the keel reinforcement.

The second is a large, but shallow dent on the bottom. It looks liked someone tried to fill between pieces of aluminum here too, but my main concern with this one is performance. I think it is going to drag water pretty bad. I might be able to pound it out some.

Also, EVERY line of rivits on this things has had some sort of sealer put over them. The row of rivits midway dow the gunwales literally has a straight bead from front to back, and it wasn't smoothed at all.

Here is the picture.
29zbxhi.jpg

So what woud you guys do? I have found an almost new looking (still waiting for more pictures and details) 14 foot Flat bottom for around $400. It appears to be welded. While the 16 footer I have would be fine, the flat bottom would be more Ideal for hunting where I hunt.

I just don't want this $75 boat I have to end up costing $1000 by the time I'm done fixing these issues. I think I will need $100 in aircraft stripper alone, as the wire wheels were hardly touching whatever paint was used on it.

Can you post better pictures? You can't tell what damage is done. Are you going to repaint the boat? If you are, you won't need to strip all the paint. Sand it to rough it up, primer bare spots and paint. I'm not a painter so check with the pros on this site.

Someone will come along that can get you going in the right direction.

If you are going to repaint, it is true you don't need to strip it entirely.

Sounds like you want the flat bottom more anyways. If you have the cash, buy it and sell this one for a couple hundred.

I won't be able to get better pictures until Monday. But it looks like it doesn't look good. And I figured if the paint is this hard to get off I'd be ok painting over it.

Its true I would like the flat bottom more in all honesty. Basically my hunting buddy is moving away for school, and this boat is for me and my girlfriend to hunt. Where I live there are no places to walk in and hunt, you pretty much have to have a boat. I have been putting money aside for a boat, so I can probably swing money on a different one. I already have a motor to use, and whatever boat I end up with is going to be the last one I buy for a few years until I can afford a true mud boat and surface drive. This is basically a long term temporary boat 8)

fish devil said:
:twisted: 3M 5200 sealant will solve all your problems. Clean up the area before applying the product.
Thats what im thinking. The 16 footer I have will haul more weight and handle waves better

If it were my taste speaking I would love to have the 16 footer...they aren't easy to come by from what I see around here...and for that price? Dang...

But some people like the flat bottoms...

I like the 16 footer because depending on what blind we go to, we might HAVE to put out 5 dozen duck decoys and a handful of geese to compete with other hunters. Then you figure me, the old lady, and her dog, or a third person.

My motor set up is more suited for a flat bottom boat, but should work on this alright. Im hoping for near 20 mph with 2 people and a light load.

Latest posts