Hang a stringer...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmed999

Reaction score
When I go out fishing from my alumicraft 1236 and I catch fish I put them on a stringer and tie one end to something on the inside of the boat. That system doesn't work so well.

What is the best way to hang a stringer from my jon? Tie it to something? Do they make something to tie it to?

Thanks! 8)

CodyPomeroy said:
I use a basket, and I just tie it to the handle on the back of the boat.

I stringer takes up less room inside the boat when not in use. Since space is a premium I would rather just use a nylon stringer. I'd like to mount something near the middle bench sit (where I usually sit) to tie a nylon stringer to.

Sounds like you are over thinking this. Just tie it to anything that is stable enough to hold it. If you really don't have anything to tie it to, just install a cleat.

The fish baskets really don't take up much room when not in use as they are collapsable. It's also a lot easier to throw a fish into a basket then to put each one on a stringer.

jojo said:
Sounds like you are over thinking this. Just tie it to anything that is stable enough to hold it. If you really don't have anything to tie it to, just install a cleat.

The fish baskets really don't take up much room when not in use as they are collapsable. It's also a lot easier to throw a fish into a basket then to put each one on a stringer.

Yeah a cleat is the only thing I can think of. Thanks! I was hoping they made something uniquely for this application or something smaller than a cleat.

I started out using an stringer but finally switched over to using baskets. I like it much better and as stated above, it's much faster to throw a fish in the basket and get a line back in the water. When my brother and I go out together, we end up taking 2 baskets because one usually won't hold them all, and even with 2 baskets stacked, they slide under one of the bench seats and are out of the way. Another plus is that the fish seem to live longer in a basket than on a stringer.

I started with a stringer but recently bought a collapsing basket which hasn't seen water yet. When I was fishing off a kayak, I used a nylon web meshed thingy that came with something I bought (I'm a pack rat and cheap). It folds up very small, but was strong enough to hold the fishes.

jmed999 said:
CodyPomeroy said:
I use a basket, and I just tie it to the handle on the back of the boat.

I stringer takes up less room inside the boat when not in use. Since space is a premium I would rather just use a nylon stringer. I'd like to mount something near the middle bench sit (where I usually sit) to tie a nylon stringer to.
Really? I personally haven't seen one that doesn't collapse. Mine does and sits behind the rear bench when not in use. If it's in the way I slide it under the bench or just set stuff on top of it. I generally don't put much back there anyway to keep the weight up front.

Back when I was catching and keeping fish....we always had a big cooler on board. We'd fill the cooler with ice and "adult beverages" and lunches. We'd throw the still-alive fish onto the ice. By the end of the day, we had to empty and then clean the big cooler due to fish stink.

The slimy "adult beverages" didn't taste so good, either.

I finally figured out a solution. Garbage bags! I'd slip the fish into the big garbage bag and leave it in the cooler. Fish froze hard. Cooler didn't need cleaning anymore.

Progress!

R

We use a mixture of stringers, baskets and coolers depending on what boat we are using and where we are fishing.

We have a few jon boats and have electrical conduit straps (about 1" or so diameter) screwed in multiple places along the insides of the boat. There are always a few within reach of any of the seats and they work well to tie stringers, baskets, anchor ropes or dock lines to. You can pick them up practically anywhere that sells hardware and they are only about $0.50 each or less. Just shoot a self tapping screw into the gunnel or seat and you're good to go.

This is what they look like

1-hole_conduit_strap.jpg

I also use a large cooler with ice sometimes. It doubles as the seat in one boat and is very easy to just lift the lid and toss fish in.

The bad thing about stringers is large fish tend to get tangled up and twisted while riding in the water next to the boat if trolling making it very hard to release any. Baskets are easy, but create A LOT of drag on the boat if they are in the water while you are riding.

As far as a place to tie things off goes. You'll need to blow this picture up to full size and even then it might be difficult to see. Look at the transom gusset on the far side of the boat. On the side there is a small piece riveted to the gusset. It's basically a shallow V shape with little extensions off the top of the V for the rivets. They are great to tie lines off and pretty simple. No rough edges or pointy parts to hit your arm on. You could make these from some 1/8th flat stock with just 3 bends, and attach them to your boats railing or just below the railing. My boat has one at or near each corner of the boat and I like them.

DSC00215.jpg

On the Jon my dad and I used to fish from, we just used the oar locks since we didn't use oars. Just insert the stringer pointed end into the oar lock hole from the top, out the bottom, and then insert the metal point back into the lock hole again. Quick and easy.

A friend had a simple small eye bolt (1/4") attached to the rail of his boat and he used a wire shower curtain hanger to connect his stringer to the boat.

Latest posts