Another Coleman Crawdad owner

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingmontkid

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

A newbie here, came across this site when I googled "Coleman Crawdad Mods" and saw some pretty awesome pics!

They say necessity is the mother of invention: even tho I didn't invent this I wanted to pass along to my Crawdad brethern a little tip that I use and learned on a boat ramp of Lake Erie (I was on a charter boat at that moment). Anyways, think of a kayak dolly. :D

Like alot of Crawdad owners, I bought it for $600 in 2008 since I loved how light it was, came with a 5hp Gamefisher, an old Sears Trolling Motor, battery (dead), life jackets, minnow bucket, oars, the works. I loved the idea of not having to fool around with a trailer. I am sure it is because of "Trailering" that a wiseman once said, "A man's happiest day is when he buys his boat; the next happiest day is when he sells it." Anyways, I like the idea of throwing it in the back of my Tacoma and taking off for these WV lakes. BUT....I hated the idea of loading everything at the house, unloading at the dock, then loading back up from the dock....then when I'm done, Unloading, loading, and unloading again. That got old REAL quick. SO.....check out the kayak dolly. I took the picture below and made my own. Load up your boat while it's at the house, go to the lake, wrap a ratchet strap around both bars underneath and then join the strap in the boat and ratchet her down while its in the truck. Once you get your PVC contraption secured, unhook it, and pull her down gently out of your truck bed onto the wheels. Let it sit, go park, then come back and "wheelbarrow" it right down the ramp. FULLY LOADED. Heck, I'm out of shape as the next guy and I am able to do it.

Just wanted to pass along my good idea since I've been getting some off of here. Attached is a kayak dolly like I made, but that's not mine. Pretty close though. I used 1.5 (I think) PVC pipe, a threaded rod for the wheel axle, and two air filled wheelbarrow wheels. Oh,and yes, I leave it attached while fishing. :) Maybe this helps with bouyancy?

My Crawdad itself is not tricked out. Trying to decide what I want to do with it. Whatever I can do which is little weight added but huge in practicality, I will do so.

Attachments

• imagesCAF0L2SV.jpg
    imagesCAF0L2SV.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 824

Latest posts