What is the purpose of these boat parts...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmed999

Reaction score
First of all I love this site! Thanks for allowing me to ask dumb questions.

What is the purpose of the vertical piece offset from the middle of the boat and attached to the transom in this pic...

Boat 3.jpg

Also, what is the purpose of the 2 square pieces at the bottom of the transom? They are hollow.

Please excuse the pine straw in my boat.

Thanks guys!

I think its called a knee brace and its just to support the transom. I've seen them centered before but offset may be because of the hieght of the transom (so you can fit a motor on)

The square things are just added suport.

Besides being a transom brace, it might have also been designed to help keep a battery from moving around if the space between the braces is large enough for a battery.

I know my eyes are bad but I'm gonna blame it on the pic being too dark to see the plug. :lol: My boat actually had a recess in the floor and appears to be made for the battery to sit in but the plug is there also. Poor planning on the mfg's part if you ask me.

From the spacing with relation to the rear-most floor brace, the two tabs may be to support the gas tank and keep it level in that compartment. It would also keep it up off the floor and out of any shallow water in the bilge area.