If I ever were to sink one... 10ft G3

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixgun86

Reaction score
I sold my boat and came across this 09' 1032 G3. Smallest but newest boat I ever owned. Don't think I've ever been in a 10' jon before. Last night was the first time and with the 6hp on the back at times it seems a bit sketchy to say the least. I've got only a couple inches above the water line at the stern. My fishing buddy is coming over later and we are going to pile in and see if this rig will support the both of us and the motor. I must say, with me and the 6hp it moves. Very fast little boat. Downside, I could foresee the stern taking on water if a big boat came by, taking it out in the bay and anchoring wrong, or just a plain ol' bad day.

Attachments

• g32.jpg
    g32.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 3,103
  • g31.jpg
    g31.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 3,102
It definitely needs some weight up front. On the two highest tilt adjustments it starts to porpoise once planed out! Never thought I'd ever see that 6hp do that :mrgreen: I've got a battery that I'll be putting in it shortly and will have it up front to help keep it down. I found out G3 makes a 1036... That would have been perfect! Higher sidewalls, stronger transom, Adds 100lbs to max weight.

Issues, 32" floor... Huge difference over standard 36". Standing up period is an art. The Sidewalls are very short, almost 4-6" than normal jon's. The transom isn't very strong. If I do decide to keep it I will have to beef it up. In addition add some flotation pods to help keep the stern from sagging. I'll figure out today when I take it out during the day light with some weight up front if it's worth doing.. It's nice owning something so new, in addition something I don't need another motor or trailer for as well.

If I do keep this thing possibility of sinking it in 6mo time, 50% w/o pods. No lie. Plus side average depth is 7ft.

* Just got off the phone w/ my welder in ref to pods, " Sure we could do that, bring it on by." This guy did a t-top for $150 that turned out awesome. Hmmmmm.... Need to measure how much room I have now to see if they are even possible w.o. hitting the prop. Thinkin the cav plate is below the hull so just the mid section will be the issue.

Even small pods would probably be enough to offset the motor weight. That should be a great help by it's self. I'd love to have something about that size for weaving in and out of the cypress trees when I go searching for those bream and crappie.

DUDE! its sad iv been in the north for 4 years and not once have i heard some one talk about bream, no one knows what they are here i miss fishing them i spent so much of my childhood fishing bass and bream...

JMichael said:
Even small pods would probably be enough to offset the motor weight. That should be a great help by it's self. I'd love to have something about that size for weaving in and out of the cypress trees when I go searching for those bream and crappie.

I'm telling you, strong possibility. I'll even predict how this will happen.

Out in the bay, Fishing the reef. The wind picks up. Too much weight in the back pushes the stern dangerously close to the water line. A white cap comes out of no where and water rushes over the transom and rear gunnel's. The addition of 10 gallons pushes the rear of the boat dangerously close to water line. As I turn to fight the flood I put more weight towards the rear of the boat. Another wave comes in.. This time it's enough to keep the boat from re-emerging. It fills the hull cavity in less than 10 seconds and goes below the water line.

Swimming to shore 1/4mile out in the dark. I can see the lights of the houses. It is cold and I keep wondering when I will touch bottom. Once I'm hundred feet out Im able to wade to the shore. I empty my pockets. Drenched Benjamin's and a phone that is no longer "smart" I walk to the nearest house. No one is home. I go to the road. On my third attempt to hitch they tell me there is no way I'm getting in soaked. I can use the phone. I call my Ol lady and she comes to get me. She is speechless. Not that she is worried, but pissed off I wasn't spending time with her and now even more so additional time away is required to retrieve the boat.

Later that night we take the pontoon out with the guide poles. It takes us an half hour to find the boat. I jump off the side and float for a minute getting use to the cold water. I take a deep breath and swim below the surface 5-10' and struggle to tie the G3 off. This takes 3 attempts. Colorful language is spouted out in between. I hate diving. There is money on the bottom. It must be done. We struggle effortlessly to get the boat up once tethered. We finally succeed and slowly raise it to the surface. I say to my self once it comes into sight, should have bought pods.

Two months later I'm sitting beside the camp fire with a beer and a cigar. Did I ever tell yall how I sunk my boat? The story grows in length and danger.

I'll post a vid tomorrow of today's run. Tell'n ya... This thing hauls. It's the sketchy Baby speed boat!

sixgun86 said:
I sold my boat and came across this 09' 1032 G3. Smallest but newest boat I ever owned. Don't think I've ever been in a 10' jon before. Last night was the first time and with the 6hp on the back at times it seems a bit sketchy to say the least. I've got only a couple inches above the water line at the stern. My fishing buddy is coming over later and we are going to pile in and see if this rig will support the both of us and the motor. I must say, with me and the 6hp it moves. Very fast little boat. Downside, I could foresee the stern taking on water if a big boat came by, taking it out in the bay and anchoring wrong, or just a plain ol' bad day.
Hey, I have that exact same motor on my 12' semi v. I love it! I presently have been putting the gas tank and battery in front of me at my feet. This next season I intend to move stuff forward even more. I fish small lakes and rivers mostly, and I stay off the water on weekends when the idiots are out, so I haven't been too worried about getting swamped.

Thats freakin awesome lol :lol:

sixgun86 said:
I'm telling you, strong possibility. I'll even predict how this will happen.

Out in the bay, Fishing the reef. The wind picks up. Too much weight in the back pushes the stern dangerously close to the water line. A white cap comes out of no where and water rushes over the transom and rear gunnel's. The addition of 10 gallons pushes the rear of the boat dangerously close to water line. As I turn to fight the flood I put more weight towards the rear of the boat. Another wave comes in.. This time it's enough to keep the boat from re-emerging. It fills the hull cavity in less than 10 seconds and goes below the water line.

Swimming to shore 1/4mile out in the dark. I can see the lights of the houses. It is cold and I keep wondering when I will touch bottom. Once I'm hundred feet out Im able to wade to the shore. I empty my pockets. Drenched Benjamin's and a phone that is no longer "smart" I walk to the nearest house. No one is home. I go to the road. On my third attempt to hitch they tell me there is no way I'm getting in soaked. I can use the phone. I call my Ol lady and she comes to get me. She is speechless. Not that she is worried, but pissed off I wasn't spending time with her and now even more so additional time away is required to retrieve the boat.

Later that night we take the pontoon out with the guide poles. It takes us an half hour to find the boat. I jump off the side and float for a minute getting use to the cold water. I take a deep breath and swim below the surface 5-10' and struggle to tie the G3 off. This takes 3 attempts. Colorful language is spouted out in between. I hate diving. There is money on the bottom. It must be done. We struggle effortlessly to get the boat up once tethered. We finally succeed and slowly raise it to the surface. I say to my self once it comes into sight, should have bought pods.

Two months later I'm sitting beside the camp fire with a beer and a cigar. Did I ever tell yall how I sunk my boat? The story grows in length and danger.

I'll post a vid tomorrow of today's run. Tell'n ya... This thing hauls. It's the sketchy Baby speed boat!

I hope that little thing has flotation built in, which is what that boat in the story SHOULD HAVE HAD. A lot of people could not swim a 1/4 mile, most people as a matter of fact could not. No excuse for not having level flotation in a small boat.

I found 3 people treading water on the Illinois river one day who swamped a small (maybe 10ft) jon boat on a windy day, all 3 grabbed the side of my boat and we motored to shore, I went back 2 times and got their boat / motor, couple tackle boxes, fuel can and depth finder.

Tim

I'd keep the **** thing, sounds like a blast!! take it down by orange beach under the bridge on the bayside and start jumping some of the wakes from the bigger boats!... " IM KIDDING!! " but seriously though i'd keep it dude it's perfect for the bay's and in the channels

Thats why i love my boat it will float fully loaded in about 8 inches of water, i do kinda wish it was bigger just over all so i could fit more gear and people in it but theres nothing wrong at all with a tiny tin

I recently saw a pic or video of a small jon boat like that where a guy added PVC tubes to the sides for stability. Looked kinda weird but I guess it would keep it afloat.

here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANoSwwITLXY&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL22B8202301C604BE

interesting idea

JasonLester said:
I recently saw a pic or video of a small jon boat like that where a guy added PVC tubes to the sides for stability. Looked kinda weird but I guess it would keep it afloat.

here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANoSwwITLXY&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL22B8202301C604BE

interesting idea

Yep, kinda like this:
Sponsons 001.jpg

Sponsons-Top View.jpg

When I first built my jetboat, I fabricated these from 10 inch aluminum irrigation pipe (.050" wall thickness) They were pressurized at 15 PSI.

Maiden Voyage 3.jpg

Return to Port.jpg

The reason they're not still on the boat is because there is no bow rise built into the hull of the boat. As a result, the front end of the sponsons is not upturned, like you would see on a zodiac or a RIB. So, when it's sitting in the water, it doesn't look right. Nor does it function as intended....

Maiden Voyage 4.jpg

The Duracraft hull does have a natural bow flare, which directs water away from the boat when you hit waves. But, with the sponsons on there, when you hit a wave, it basically allows the water to go up and over the bow, filling the boat full of water. After taking a roller across the bow one day coming back through the inlet, and the boat being knee-deep in water, I removed the sponsons from the boat.

That, and the fact that they were .050" thick, means every time I bumped a dock, the tube would flex, and a big chunk of paint would flake off, making it look like crap, and constantly needing touch-up work.

Besides, with 1 1/2" thick polystyrene foam in the floor and in the gunwales, as well as having 4 bilge pumps on board that can pump over 2500 GPH, or roughly 30 GPM, I figure there's really no need for the sponsons.

JamesM56alum said:

And I finally find a local!! James, Lets go drown this thing at the pass... No finding it will poles down there! Couple miles out in the gulf by the time I get a ride home, lol.

I got my fishing buddy over today, big fella. The two of us took a spin in the creek, north perdido bay and the boat did okay.. Not very fast but fishable. I took the boat to my welder and he is charging me $45 a pod. Hope to have it back by the weekend. These should make a drastic difference. Pics as soon as the boat comes back. Didn't have time to make a vid today unfortunately. Had an air leak on my fuel line and didn't have any clamps. One hand was steering while the other was pumping. Sketch x2. Will make one upon it's return.

On second thought.... Maybe I should sink it for Tinboat research. Does the foam under the benches really keep it off the bottom? Good time to make bets! Keep in mind it will have pods.

If 5 people post SINK IT. I'll do it.

*Fine print. Only the hull. No motor or electronics. In shallow water so I can retrieve it easily.

Its very entertaining to read this thread :D I remember myself thinking the same stuff youre dealing with.

Mine is a 12' 32", a little tippy and plain insecure for standing fishing. We actually fabricated two 15" side pods with cone ends, just like hawaian kayaks, installed at the side of the jonboat. They had two 3 feet "arms", and had clamps attached to the side of the boat. Then, by installing a rope from a soldered ring to the pod, routed under the boat and tied to the opposite side paddle holder hole, make the pods pull downward giving stupid amounts of stability.

The left pod had its 2 arms like kayaks, and a rope going underneath to the opossite side paddle hole, was the key for having 4 people feeling somewhat secure for four people.... this was decades ago.

I still have the thing. The last time i used it was like 6 months ago. But then we recently purchased a new bigger boat, a Lowe Roughneck R1760 with a 60hp 4 stroke.

More security for everyone, and capable to haul 6 persons easily (rated for this). I finally stopped breaking my head thinking how the hell could i make the 12' safer! :D

I thought about pods but wasn't sure how to make and attach them. You wouldn't by chance have any pictures of your setup?? I saw a roughneck at the welding shop, that was a serious boat. I tried picking it up, 1448, what a solid boat. It was there because a couple of the braces had split in the middle. Wrote down his number and have been trying to see if he wanted to sell it... No answer :twisted:

SINK IT, but only if you want to for your own peace of mind and research. :mrgreen: If both benches and that front section are filled with foam, my money is on it floating with the rails just a few inches above the water. I wouldn't be surprised if you could even stand up in it afterwards. It probably won't be the very steady but with that much foam it should stay up. I've seen home made boat docks floated with surprisingly little foam, and I'm talking about some heavy duty wood structures.

Latest posts