What Size Anchor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmed999

Reaction score
I have a 1236 Alumicraft on an 8 acre pond. It never goes to other ponds or lakes. The deepest part is 13 ft but mostly 5-7 feet. :)

I think a mushroom style anchor will be best. It gets pretty windy here and I'm tired of being blown around. :x I want to he held rock solid even on some pretty windy days. With that said, I would like to pull it up with minimal effort and what size would be optimum? :?: What thinkness of nylon rope would be best?

Thanks!

With a 12' in a pond I don't see any reason that a 15lb mushroom wouldn't work fine.

I use 3/8" diamond poly braid rope on mine and don't have any issues. You can but 100' for about $10 at Home Depot or Lowes and it looks like climbing rope. The nice thing about it is that it floats.

One anchor might not keep you where you want to be though if it's very windy because it will act like a pivot point and the boat will blow around it in a circle. You might need one on each end of the boat to keep you in one spot.

Poly rope would probably be your best bet since nylon has a bit of a stretch problem. As far as diameter, even something as small as ¼" has almost 1500lb tensile strength according to the mfg's. I don't think you're going to break it pulling a 15-20lb anchor up. Another thing to consider if you're not using something like an anchor mate is a small diameter tends to cut into your hands easier if your anchor gets hung and you have to pull a lot harder.

I would just get a 12# mushroom anchor, 50' of 3/8 braided nylon rope and some of these.
https://www.basspro.com/Marine-Rope-Grippers/product/854/72197?hvarAID=shopping_googlebase&om_mmc=shopping_googlebase

Remember that normal scope is 7:1, which means if you're in 10 feet of water, you should put out 70 feet of rope. In a storm or in high winds, the scope increases to 10:1.

Also, having a length of chain between the anchor and the anchor line helps keep the anchor weighted down. 5 feet of chain should be sufficient.

I prefer a danforth anchor over a mushroom, as the flukes will dig into sand, rocks, shell, or mud. In any substrate besides clay or mud, the mushroom anchor will tend to roll around. For any boat 14 feet or smaller, a 5 lb danforth anchor should be adequate. Once properly set, a 5 lb danforth has every bit as much holding power as a 15 lb mushroom anchor.

As far as rope size, I use 3/8" on both my boats.

Latest posts