Decal removal

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwave

Reaction score
Who has the best suggestion for removal of old decals and stripes? I searched the site and goofoff, and wd, were some suggestions. Heat gun? The decals come off pretty easy but the stripe is on there good.....what should I use?

Thanks alot,
Kevin

Depends is the decal or stripes over paint ? if so i'd use a heat gun and a old credit card you dont need any more, or if it's bare metal then just use the same process but with a light brillow pad it'll remove everything and polish the area also.

bigwave said:
Who has the best suggestion for removal of old decals and stripes? I searched the site and goofoff, and wd, were some suggestions. Heat gun? The decals come off pretty easy but the stripe is on there good.....what should I use?

Thanks alot,
Kevin

Letting it sit in the hot sun all day will loosen um up about as good as they will. I use brake cleaner to get the glue off if its metal

Thanks for the advise, the stripes are factory over paint.....they are on there. I let the boat set out for six years in the sun, I think they are permanently on there...I will try with a heat gun....go big orange loggerhead.......I appreciate the tips.....cant wait to get home tonight to start the prep for primer. Its time to get this thing done....the snook bite will be here in a month......

Go to your local paint supply store and ask for an eraser wheel. its what we use in the auto body business to remove decals without damaging the paint. It will be a three inch rubber disk with a shaft for a die grinder or electric drill. take your time till you get the hang of the process or you can remove the paint as well. Nothing works better for removing the decals and glue an the same time. Set u back $12.

Latest posts