Bearing Buddies

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snitzel

Reaction score
I have bearing buddies on my trailer. Have been on the trailer for about 4 years.
I fill up with 3 or so pumps of the grease gun after every trip.
The bearing buddies seem to sling grease all over the front of the tire. Also there is
grease in the back of the tire.

Have the bearing buddies malfunctioned on the front and have the rear seals/races malfunctioned in the back? :?: :?: :?:

Quite possible that you are over greasing them...that is typically what bursts the seals in back.

I agree with JD. I just took a class this past Saturday to get my PA Boaters License and that was a topic covered under trailers for your boats. If you overfilll the bearing buddies the extra grease will fly all over the place as the hub warms up and the grease melts or gets softer. As long as the cylinder that pushes the grease into the hub has some movement it means that there is grease in the hub and you should be fine.

I think they say 1/8 inch of movement is what you are looking for with the bearing buddies

mine do the same thing but only out the front,but i know i overfill them.i also put just over a thousand miles on my trailer last year.2/3 hundred miles one way and the same back at 55 mph. on some of my longer trips, but my hubs are still ok.

As others have said, probably over greased. The outside where you pump grease in should be level with the Bearing Buddies housing. Yes, I found that out the hard way. Cleaning grease on the tires in no fun.

Bearing buddies shorten the life of the seals when the average person uses them because they always over grease them, which scares the person into under greasing them after that so in my personal opinion i dont sell them to my customers and i dont use them my self because if you maintain your trailer and use the right amount and type of grease you shouldnt need the buddies to begin with.