Wood replacement at the trasnom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twds

Reaction score
I have removed the wood from the transom of my 10' boat. I saw on here somewhere that somebody said just remove 6 screws. I did, but my question is, what is the best way to replace it. It was also held in with L brackets completely around the board. Hate to go bending them, but may have to. It was rotted out so I was able to remove it with no probelm.

Is the wood outside the aluminum? If so, just cut out a new piece of plywood (don't waste your money on marine grade - it is like 85 bucks a sheet - you can use either sheathing, or the next grade up that is available from Lowes or Home Depot) and put it in. Now, what are these L brackets you are talking about? I haven't seen them before. A picture would be nice.

If it is riveted you might have to cut the rivets off the bracket to release the transom like I am going to have to do on mine

I was able to get it. Was able to put a piece of 2x6 back in. Just had to hammer a little, but it fit in to place. Had to make it two pieces. My next question, I have a coleman crawdad and the 10' jon boat. 10' is for the rivers. I was wondering about a foot control trolling motor. Didn't know if they made them for the transom? If not how I could mount one on the front?

twds said:
I was able to get it. Was able to put a piece of 2x6 back in. Just had to hammer a little, but it fit in to place. Had to make it two pieces. My next question, I have a coleman crawdad and the 10' jon boat. 10' is for the rivers. I was wondering about a foot control trolling motor. Didn't know if they made them for the transom? If not how I could mount one on the front?

These are how another kid did them....

Attachments

• post-2-1175350661.jpg
    post-2-1175350661.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,713
  • post-2-1175350438.jpg
    post-2-1175350438.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,491
  • post-2-1175350422.jpg
    post-2-1175350422.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,491
That rudder would do loads better if it went a bit deeper under water. Those things are a must on a small craft, with a bow mount troller though.

Thanks alot for the info and the pics. Had no idea about the rudder either. Thanks again. That looks just like my boat. Have another 10' jon boat I've been working on for the small rivers. Don't want to take the plastic baot on the rivers. Thanks again

Latest posts